Forum Discussion

kev
New Contributor
11 years ago

premier speeds

HI, just switched from preferred to premier today in the Baton Rouge area. I want to make sure I'm getting the appropriate speeds. 

Tue May 28 8:14 PM Yes 33 Mbps 19 Mbps 23 millisec 68.105.46.27 Baton Rouge

Does this seem about right? I've tested several times over the past couple hours and get similar results. I'm using gateway Cisco DPC3825.

I was concerned because I saw a recent post on this forum (http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/p/1627/6827.aspx#6827) stating that some people had slow speeds because in certain areas, including Baton Rouge, there was a "'Premier' vs. 'Premier for DOCSIS 3' dichotomy". 

Thanks!

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Kyros
    New Contributor

upload speed is false if you're using the cox.net speed test. A tech told me in another post that the upload speed portion of the test shows the incorrect speed because what you're seeing in your upload speed is the powerboost which only lasts for files no larger than like 20mbs?

I live in a totally different area but I would say that your download speed does sound about right though. premiere in my area is 30 down 6up 

if you want to get an "honest" and more accurate reading of your upload speeds try speedtest.net or http://testmy.net/upload for speed tests on your upload.

I suggest other tests for other upload speed testing until cox fixes/resolves this issue to show your correct upload speed after the powerboost has ended.

edit: many states/areas have different premier packages, so i could be totally wrong, but if your package states you should be getting 30 down, then yeah. You're good to go. If the package you got is saying you should be getting 50mb down or some other higher number you may have a problem. :V

kev
    New Contributor

Thanks for the reply - premier here is supposed to be 50 down and 10 up. I figured I shouldn't expect to see 50 down on the speed test, but wasn't sure what was considered acceptable and what would suggest I might have a problem.

KipK
    Valued Contributor II

Kev said:
    I was concerned because I saw a recent post on this forum (http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/p/1627/6827.aspx#6827) stating that some people had slow speeds because in certain areas, including Baton Rouge, there was a "'Premier' vs. 'Premier for DOCSIS 3' dichotomy".

And you were affected, but you should be good now. 

Kyros said:
    upload speed is false if you're using the cox.net speed test. A tech told me in another post that the upload speed portion of the test shows the incorrect speed because what you're seeing in your upload speed is the powerboost which only lasts for files no larger than like 20mbs?

That's just my semi-educated opinion, mind you, not any kind of official statement. TestMy.net is a good alternative, but we can't guarantee reliability for off-network test sites or verify the results so we always refer customers to our internal tester.

Kyros said:
    edit: many states/areas have different premier packages, so i could be totally wrong, but if your package states you should be getting 30 down, then yeah. You're good to go. If the package you got is saying you should be getting 50mb down or some other higher number you may have a problem. :V

In  Kev's area, it's 50 down/10 up, which he should be getting now. 

kev
    New Contributor
    Tue May 28 10:45 PM Yes 65 Mbps 27 Mbps 25 millisec 68.105.46.27 Baton Rouge

Confirmed   Thank you!