Forum Discussion

HellcatHodges
New Contributor
8 years ago

Ultimate Internet in San Diego is dead slow at night.

92119 San Diego I have Ultimate Internet. My Down/Up speeds during the day are generally normal (330-340 down/30-40 up). But drop to single digits-100 down at night and between 0-1mb up. When I call Tech support they can't even see me online because of the upload I guess. A guy came out and gave me a new modem which didn't help. I'm supposed to call him to set up an appt. to reroute the RG-59 I have in my wall with RG-6. Don't think that will do much of anything as I said my speeds are normal during the day.

He DID say this is a new ongoing issue (not just in my node or me specifically). and he would make a "plant" ticket for me. Kind of at my wits end as there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done by the Techs. Speaking of which any Cox San Diego techs out there care to comment?

Thanks!.

Greg Hodges

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @HellcatHodges

I looked from this end and I'm still seeing significant packet loss to the modem. RG-59 is certainly not ideal for digital cable services so having that replaced would be a good step in the right direction.

mkulzak
    New Contributor

Having the same issues for over a month now. I live out in Phoenix, AZ though. Not really sure what this exact problem is. I've had two different techs + been on the phone several times with no resolution. :(

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

Didn't your last post conclude with advice about testing your wireless network and try a less congested channel? OP is in a different state and has a problem probably related to signal levels so it is unlikely to be related. I would suggest starting your own thread so it gets the attention it requires and the two problems don't get mixed up. Before starting a new thread, start by reviewing the old  thread and answer any questions left over in the new thread.

• Hi Chris! . Yep significant packet loss but it has nothing to do with me. A traceroute from my location to Cox has 8 hops. In the DEAD SLOW NIGHT it always times out at hop 7: WW2.cox.com so it's either Cox itself or somebody hacks them at night. You could ping me right now and it's all good to go. 11.32am. 11/28/16 Speedtest from Cox's website: 341Down/34Up which is spot on normal for me. Too bad for 12-14 hours a day (night) it's in single digits. I've been patient up to this point but my patience is wearing thin.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

::Edit::

@HellcatHodges  Based on your immature rant in the other thread I have decided not to help you. Maybe someone else here will have more patience then I do and take pitty on you. Good luck.

mkulzak
    New Contributor

If you're talking to me. I did start my own thread and have looked through many other threads that consist of the same issue. When I started my own thread I didn't get any response.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

mkulzak said:
    If you're talking to me.

No, I was talking to OP.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @hellcatHodges

Where I'm seeing the packet loss is between our equipment (your gateway) and the modem. The other equipment in your home does not show the same packet loss suggesting a problem at the modem or the outlet.