Forum Discussion

Ilbdam
New Contributor
8 years ago

Email Problem

I am having a problem with my email account.  When logging on to it I get these errors:

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your email server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR invalid user name or password.
Send test email message: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server.

I have the right password as I can log onto the account thru cox.com, but can not log on to the account in my email program Windows live mail. 

Any help with this problem would be great.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    EdwardH
    Valued Contributor
    If the login is working through the Cox site there is likely a setting in Windows Mail or some type of security program blocking it on that computer. When you attempt to send and receive mail does it give you the login pop up window asking or the user name and password or going directly to that error? Also does it show the incoming server name for pop.cox.net or something different?

---
    grymwulf
    Contributor II

Often times windows live mail tries to use the entire email address as the login - try setting up manually and use just the first part of the email address (before the @ sign) - cox's email servers don't accept the entire email address as a login on the program side (IMAP/POP), just the webmail side.