Forum Discussion

stf
New Contributor II
8 years ago
Solved

IPv6 setup?

According to http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=%7B0bced860-9666-11df-6baf-000000000000%7D my Internet only service with my personally owned Motorola Surfboard should be IPv6 enabled.

And according to the documents I have for my modem and router they should be IPv6 capable. Here is the information about my modem:

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: 374781423200698410020022
Firmware Build Time: Jan 22 2015 14:31:03

My router is a ASUS RT-N16 with firmware version 3.0.0.4.276 which the router claims is the latest release.

When checking my modem's configuration page is says that "Modem's IP Mode" is set to "IPv4 Only". There are no end user controls on this page, so it appears to be configured by Cox on modem power up. I thought maybe that was an artifact of the modem's status presentation so tried setting IPv6 on the router to "Native with DHCP-DP" to see if it could pull any configuration but that failed.

I could setup the router using 6in4 to another IPv6 provider, but I'd rather use Cox. Is there anything I can do here or is this configuration entirely in the hands of Cox?

• stf,

I see you've emailed us and I've replied there. Our residential implementation of IPv6 has been completed. I've verified other devices nearby are pulling both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses so it doesn't appear to be a local problem. I've provided some additional information in my email reply.

• For the follow up: The issue was bad firmware in my router. The very prompt email back from Cox support helped me isolate the problem to the router.

So thank you Cox support!

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion