Forum Discussion

Namrevil71
New Contributor
8 years ago

Ultimate Tier speed issue in Virginia Beach VA

Good afternoon,

I have an SB6183 16x4 channel modem which should be giving me speeds up to 300mbps as of this mth for my neighborhood. I have confirmed with Cox tech support that all of Hampton Roads customers should be able to receive 300mbps down with a minimum of a 16 channel Docsis 3.0 modem which I have. It is less than a year old.  I had a senior tech out to the house recently and all levels from the street to the modem are perfect. I am also getting the blue bonded channel light sequence as always so I know the modem is receiving the correct signal from the node.  I was a tech support lead with Cox for 5 years and am currently an IT Support administrator for another company so I have a clear understanding of what is needed as far as my hardware and network setup at home to achieve these speeds. My PC(Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro,Intel Core I7 dual core processor,8gb mem, Windows 10 64bit, SSD drive) is directly connected with a gigabit adapter and Cat 6 cable to my Linksys WRT1900AC router with gigabit ports or directly connected to the modem I get the max speed of 170-190mbps . Disabling security software or Windows firewall has no affect and same results in IE, Chrome, or Firefox. Speakeasy and speedtest.net all give same results. I have even tested after midnight when there should be very little area network traffic and no change in speed. I am currently waiting on a call back from someone in tech support hopefully today or tomorrow but wanted to post a quick message in the meantime to see if anyone else is having a similar issue in the southern VA Beach(Lago Mar neighborhood) area.

Thank You

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Namrevil71
    New Contributor

update. I found another ;post from last year with someone having my same issue with the same modem and the support moderator was able to change a " service code issue" on thier Cox acct and instantly fix the speed issue. If this is the solution please let me know. Link to old post is below.

http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/p/11572/44681.aspx#44681

• Namrevil71

Hi, it looks like my colleague is assisting you via email at this time. I can see that she's made the appropriate changes for you.

Stephanie S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • Namrevil71

Being assisted via email.

Stephanie S.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

My guess is they have the wrong model number in the system or some how don't have the modem provisioned correctly in their system. Sign into your account here and see what modem is listed. If it's not that, have them check you have the Ultimate 300 service code on your account. 

Also, what speed do you get when directly connected to the SB6183?

PS. Did you happen to work with Cookie Monster. AKA Toolbox, Jason in VA? 

Namrevil71
    New Contributor

It was the missing code!!Instantly fixed by Colleen in support. The very experienced field tech who was out to my house a couple of mths ago advised even when my neighborhood gets upgraded I would need a minumum 32x8 channel modem incorrectly to get the speeds and had no idea about a simple upgrade code nor did his counterparts in the field. I almost spent $150.00 on an SB6190. Kudos to her and thanks to everyone who responded. Speed test results below directly connected to my Linksys WRT1900AC router. Get around 270mbps wireless.

Download: 321.43 /upload:33.77