Forum Discussion

JoesMad
New Contributor
9 years ago

Loss of Internet connection for last 3 days at same time Norfolk

For the past three days my modem has lost connection from ISP sometime during the day and has reconnected at about the same time every night at about 8 pm. I have a Motorola sgb6580. When the connection loss occurs, the second light (receiving) flashes and never stops. I live in Norfolk Va and have checked my connections numerous times and attempted to reset by disconnecting from power supply so many times it's frustrating. Does anyone know if there are scheduled outages going on during these times or is something worse going on. I really would hate to purchase a new modem just to find out it was a scheduled outage.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

I see some mention of a outage in Newport News VA, which is pretty close, but thats only in the last 24hrs. Power outage maps show some people there without power too, so I wonder if that is related. Do you know of anything going on there? Construction? Sorry, I am from RI. 

Also, what are your signal levels? Should be able to find them at 192.168.0.1 user:admin password: motorola and then Status > Product information. See page 24 of manual for example of what it should look like.

• Hi Joe,

Are you using a modem or a Gateway? (A Gateway is a modem/router combo device.) If your device has an internal battery, unplugging the power may not force a full reset. Check the back of your modem for a small RESET button. On some devices, RESET is actually a hole that requires you to insert a paper clip to force a full reboot. Push a paper clip into the RESET hole and hold for a few seconds, then let go. Give the modem 30-60 seconds to completely reboot. After the reboot, what lights on the modem are solid, and which lights are blinking?

Does the coax cable connect directly to your modem, or are there any splitters on the connection? A dying splitter can cause the symptoms you've described.