Forum Discussion

LiMin
New Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

change a modem

My current modem is "N450 WiFi Cable Modem Router" and already used it for over 2 years

Since  I really have high quality requirements on the network. I'd like to change a better modem.

so my questions is :

1. is it possible for me to buy a modem by myself other than buy it from COX?

2. Is it possible for me to assamble the new modem by myself? (Is there any  iternal settings is necessary to be set by COX staff on-site?)    I have  ntwork setup experience, but not sure if COX machines need extra settings.

• Hello LiMin,

You have the option to rent or purchase a modem from Cox, or purchase from another retailer of your choice. The modem must be Cox compatible. Here's a list of compatible modems: http://bit.ly/1l650yz

You are able to self-install the modem. It will need to be activated. You can do this by connecting a PC directly to the modem and following the prompts, or you may contact Tech Support to activate. 

Thank you,
  • LiMin, if you truly have "high quality requirements on the network" stay away from gateways (combo modem & router).  Get a separate modem, from the list Nichole linked to, and a separate router.  Please post your level of service and general network requirements and we can help making specific recommendations.  The router will require some setup but nothing specific to Cox's network.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hello LiMin,

You have the option to rent or purchase a modem from Cox, or purchase from another retailer of your choice. The modem must be Cox compatible. Here's a list of compatible modems: http://bit.ly/1l650yz

You are able to self-install the modem. It will need to be activated. You can do this by connecting a PC directly to the modem and following the prompts, or you may contact Tech Support to activate. 

Thank you,
    AllenP
    Valued Contributor

LiMin, if you truly have "high quality requirements on the network" stay away from gateways (combo modem & router).  Get a separate modem, from the list Nichole linked to, and a separate router.  Please post your level of service and general network requirements and we can help making specific recommendations.  The router will require some setup but nothing specific to Cox's network.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

+1 getting a separate modem and router. Before you swap the stuff out though, you may want to go into old router and copy over any settings so you can try to make them as same as possible with new router. Name of the network, passwords, etc. That way you don't have to change as much on each computer.

LiMin
    New Contributor

agree!

mine is Ultimate Internet Service( Up to 300 Mbps download      Up to 30 Mbps upload) 

I had another router connected to N450's LAN port

that I found the N450 could not do heavy work in my case.

Thank you for your suggestion :)