Forum Discussion

ljdufer
New Contributor
9 years ago

setting to keep emails on server

How do I retain my emails on my cox server?  When I pull them up on my phone they delete from my cox server and when I pull them up on my server they delete on my phone.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @ljdufer

The easiest way to maintain email sync on all of your devices is to switch them all to use IMAP protocol.  Once that is done you'll have a consistent view of your email on all devices along with any changes you make.

• I don't believe you answered the question correctly. For example, my wife has an IPad that will only allow IMAP (not POP3). When she reads an email on her IPad and then deletes it, it is deleted from the server. Spoke to Cox tech support about this issue since we have three computer devices in the house, and if she reads an email first, no one else ever can see it on their device.
    AllenP
    Valued Contributor

Server Settings, you are incorrect, iOS Mail allows either IMAP or POP3.  The 2nd setup screen, the one after entering the e-mail address and password, has a tab for IMAP and a tab for POP3, default is IMAP.  You may have to change the incoming server to pop.cox.net but it works.  Once POP is setup, if you select Advanced you can select when to delete e-mails from the server.  Options are "Never", "Seven Days" or "When removed from inbox".  I have been using iOS since the mail app was first introduced in iOS 1 thru the current, it has always supported POP3.

Of course, if your wife's tablet is setup for IMAP, it mirrors all local changes on the server.  You can always continue to use IMAP but tell your wife no to delete it or switch to POP3 and manually maintain the server's inbox.