Forum Discussion

RCD
New Contributor
9 years ago

Internet cable modem usage without a phone line

I called COX have my phone line removed from my account. They account representative said he couldn't remove my phone line without it disrupting my internet service. I've always been under the impression that you do not need a phone line for any kind of internet usage since I have the internet/phone coming thru the coax cable line and then the phone line back feeds from the modem in the wall jack for the phone. (We don't have cable TV either) My question is: I just want to keep internet service with the current setup I have, all I want to do is remove the phone service that we have not used in over two years. Is this possible to and the cox person incorrect?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    tlaw1011
    New Contributor
    I don't get our house is wired for twisted pair for the phone and cable for internet and tv so I don't see why removinmg the phone would be a big deal.
    wees41
    Contributor II

get a different modem they charge for the phone modems without phone service.

• Hi RCD,

It sounds like you have Internet and Phone service coming from the same modem. When you have Cox phone service, Cox provides a free telephony modem for the time you are subscribed to the service. Once phone is removed, the modem should  be turned in and an Internet only modem or Gateway should be used. You may purchase a modem from the Cox Solutions Store, or at retailer of your choice so long as the modem is compatible with Cox service. You may find list of compatible modems here: http://bit.ly/1r3sKCj  
    You do have another option or renting the current modem for your Internet service.

Thank you,