Forum Discussion

RogerK
New Contributor
9 years ago

Packet loss and poor speeds (An Oklahoma City Version)

I am having high packet loss & latency coupled with slow speeds/disconnects similar to what FujiwaraTakumi posted about in his thread at: http://forums.cox.com/forum_home/internet_forum/f/5/t/12613.aspx.

Can someone please help me with escalation of my issue beyond rude “level-3” techs? Is there a customer service concierge that can help me drive this to closure?

Want to read a novel?

<VENT ON>

I have made 5 calls to level-1 support with a few of them being passed to level-2 and “level-3”. I have had field techs at my residence 3 times now. I am not going to even comment on the support I received from level-1, it just isn’t worth it.

1/25/16: Post phone agent time, the first field tech comes out and tells me that I (1)needed a new modem, (current 8-channel bonding download to an upgraded 16-channel bonding download), of which I bought on the spot, and (2) the cable from the house to the distro box in the corner of the yard needed to be replaced. I was still getting spotty performance when the 1st field tech left my house but was told that, “the equipment needed to be on the line for a few hours to get up to speed”. The next morning I experience the same drops & latency issues, plus slow speed. I was out of the house the next few days, but guess what, when I returned, so did my connection problem.

Slow speed: I used to average 185Mbps down and 25Mbps up, Now I was getting 50-75Mbps down and 0.1Mbps to 2.0Mbps up.

1/28/2016: Introduction to PingPlotter. I LOVE THIS TOOL!! From this point forward, I not only am plotting against cox.net and google.com but also through my network to my modem at 192.168.100.1. (3 separate traces.) My path to the modem is 0% packet loss and ~0 to 1 ms round trip times for the duration. I start capturing data packet loss & latency events. The connection became riddled with 100% packet loss as expected and I call for support again. Not much they can do but send a field tech out the next day.

1/29/2016: I was able to show my captured PingPlotter data to the 2nd field tech and he could tell that I was indeed having an issue. The graphs clearly showed 100% packet loss for extended periods of time, unfortunately, not while he was there. At the time he was here, everything was running fine. It is not unusual (last 2 weeks) for my connection quality to be hit or miss. He went outside and said that there was a connector that he didn’t like, and replaced it.

1/30/2016: The next morning my connection was so bad I could hardly check email, or run a speed test. It was almost as bad as being in a complete outage. I called tech support and was put through to a level-2. He was very helpful and even noticed that my account was not setup to take advantage of the 16-channel bonding download speeds. For about 10 minutes of trouble shooting he was not able to even “see” my modem online until after he made those account changes. He commented that I should not have even been able to connect since he could not see me. After a few modem reboots everything seemed to be fine…it wasn’t, that evening it was terrible again.

1/31/2016: Let the rudeness and condescension begin! My connection is unusable. As usual, I reboot my router and modem, I try rebooting the machine, I try a different machine, I try different cables, power supplies, even removing the router from the system, no luck. Ok, I call back in to tech support and am immediately connected to “level-3” support. This guy is just wanting to talk down to someone and I guess I was the guy (enough said). He is saying that there is no problem that he can see, the system is fine, it has to be on my end, and that I might need a new modem, er well I see you have a new modem, well you might need new cables and a new router BUT that he will send out a field tech the next day. The issue clears up for 30 minutes then is junk the remainder of the day.

2/1/2016: I wake up and go check PingPlotter’s capture overnight. It looks great. There looks to have been something happening the night before, but at about 1:00 AM it clears up. I now have a rock stable connection at speeds I have never seen before. At about 9:00 AM I get voicemail from tech support stating that some other people in my area were experiencing connection issues as well, and that Cox had technicians out working on it until early this morning. He said that it should now be working fine and that if I wanted, I could cancel the scheduled call for later that day. As good as it was running, I almost did cancel the visit. Unfortunately about 10:15 AM I started getting heavy packet loss again.

The 3rd field tech came out this afternoon. He listened to my issue and decided to replace the cable from the wall in the office, through the attic, and out to the service box at the side of the house. So for those keeping score, I have had the cable from the distribution box in the corner of the yard to the service box on the side of the house replaced, the cable from the service box on the outside of the house to the wall plate in the office replaced. The cable from the wall plate to the modem replaced, the modem replaced, the cables from the modem to the router replaced, the router replaced, and finally the cables from the router to each respective system replaced. All systems are hard wired. I had a rock solid connection for about the hour after the 3rd field tech left, then guess what…it went to ** again.

My internet connection is pretty much useless right now. I am very frustrated and don’t “seem” to be getting anyone to help me with this. I am at the point where I am just going to log the events for a few days then call back in for support. Any ideas?

<VENT OFF/>

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion