Forum Discussion

Mysticales
New Contributor
9 years ago

IPv6 in Virginia Beach yet?

Just was wondering before I keep fiddling with my dd-wrt router. I remember reading that ipv6 was being rolled out to areas, however I do not know if this has hit virginia beach yet? Anyone here have any idea on that? Also read something about having both ipv4 and v6 addresses?

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Mysticales, IPv6 has not been launched in Virginia yet. We do not have an exact date at this time. When IPv6 is implemented we will run IPv4 and IPv6 concurrently. this method is called  "dual stack." This will enable processing of either IPv4 and/or IPv6 traffic at the same time. Please review the "News" section of your billing statement regularly as additional information will be noted there as it becomes available. -Mike
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

Should be coming soon. Fairfax VA was going to get it Oct 2015 but it was delayed. Hopefully that is for the better and they are taking their time getting it right since their HQ is in VA. 

Once it is active, you will want to set your WAN's IPv6 to Native and stateless. Make sure you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, NOT a gateway. You may have to reboot the modem and the router and should pull a WAN - 2600:8807: /128 and LAN - 2600:8807: /64. When running 25000M and 25015M above: Administration>Management page, enable IPv6 and radvd. See here for more info dd-WRT. Also see here for a bunch of useful info on Cox IPv6 in general.

Finally I would suggest using a second IPv6 DNS since I have heard reports of Cox's DNS delaying IPv6's AAAA requests.

The Google Public DNS IPv6 addresses are as follows:

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
    • 2001:4860:4860::8844

See here for more info Google DNS.