Forum Discussion

jmhuntin
New Contributor
9 years ago

McAfee Automate Update Doesn't Stop Until Security Suite Is Opened

I have the latest Cox Security Suite, McAfee Multi Access - Total Protection (PC), with the following components:

McAfee Security Center: Version 14.0, Build: 14.0.4121

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware: Version 18.0, Build: 18.0.4054

McAfee Personal Firewall: Version: 15.0, Build: 4.0.1.203

My problem is that  I automatically update, but the icon in the task bar continuously shows an update is being installed,and it won't stop until I open the Security Suite, then the update completes.  I have Windows 10.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    jmhuntin
    New Contributor

Well, I've answered my own question, in case anyone sees this and has the same problem.  According to the McAfee forum thread at https://community.mcafee.com/thread/86390?tstart=0, this problem will be corrected with Security Center Build 14.0.5120.  Cox just needs to get this update to its users.

• I have the same problem and thought it was the program so I uninstalled and reinstalled. Didn't help. I searched everywhere and finally found your post...glad I did, thought my McAfee was going nuts. :-)
    Red10
    New Contributor

I've been have the same problem where the McAfee updates icon just spins endlessly (and hovering the mouse over it alternately indicates it is "updating" or "installing" or is 100% installed).  The only way it completes is open up the McAfee program . . . then it seems to finish and tells me I'm up to date.  This has been going on for 6 weeks or more.  I researched the issue and it appears that McAfee is aware of the problem and upgraded its Security Build for its direct customers.  For us, via Cox, a partner of McAfee, things appear to be moving much more slowly for the patch to get pushed out thru Cox.  I just got off the phone with tech support, who advised that Cox is being deluged with calls over this problem, and that Cox is having problems rolling the fix out.  The rep advised that in-house testing of the fix has been problematic, and each time Cox thinks it has the update ready another probelem with it appears.  The rep said to "just be patient", that as soon as its corrected the patch will be sent out (but that it may require Cox users to deactivate/uninstall the McAfee program and then re-install it again.  The update problem has been a frustrating pain, but I'm at least encouraged that Cox has acknowledge it to me and candidly admitted that it is having tech troubles getting the McAfee patch/Cox interface to work properly, though they hope the solution is near.  That's all I know but I thought I'd share today's call with those experiencing the problem.     I recommend that you let Cox know if you are having this problem, so it makes every effort to fix it.

• Hi Red10,

Thanks for this update. It sounds like many here have tried the steps available through McAfee Consumer Support:

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp?_afrLoop=1539051162956054#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D1539051162956054%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Ddngxwefgv_204

If there are still troubles not resolved after these steps, such as a patch concern, or update trouble, please contact our 24/7 Cox Security Suite Plus Support by phone at 1-888-556-0959. Thank you for your patience on this matter.

Red10
    New Contributor

Hi DustinP,

The conversation I described having had with tech support just hours ago WAS with the 24/7 Cox Security Suite Plus Support group, reached through the same telephone number you provided.  The rep's name is Christopher.  When I went to the link you provided, I found myself back at the McAfee virtual repair tool which I (and I suspect many others) have downloaded and run, and which reports everything is fine. The tool does not fix the McAfee update problem.  The problem, it appears, is that I am running Cox/McAfee Security Build 14.0.4121, which I believe was last updated back in June 2015.  The fix to the problem apparently is contained in build 14.0.5120, which has been provided to Cox by McAfee but which Cox has not shared with Cox customers.  So, I guess I'm confused by your recommendation to call the same folks who told me Cox is experiencing technical difficulties implementing the patch/fix/build update.  Are you saying that what the Cox SSPS representative told me is not accurate??  If it's accurate, what good is calling them back going to do??  At this point, having experienced this problem (which is known to Cox) for over 6 weeks I believe refunds are in order since we pay for a package which includes McAfee Security Suite software that operates properly, and we're not getting it.  The problem occurs on both Windows 7 AND Windows 10.  Thanks. 

• McAfee SecurityCenter Version 14.0.6136 is now being pushed out to Cox customers. I received the update yesterday automatically. Hopefully this corrects the automatic update issue.
  • Hello latinkreationz,

Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue.

Thanks - Cox Support Forums Moderator