Forum Discussion

Rocket_93
New Contributor
9 years ago

IPv6 Setup

Linksys says:

Before enabling IPv6 on your router, you must have the following information from your ISP:

• •Network Setup Prefix
  • •Prefix Length
  • •Border Relay
  • •IPv4 address Mask Length

This information does not appear to be readily available. Can you please respond?

I currently receive a score of 0/10 at http://test-ipv6.com Test results below.

• Test with IPv4 DNS record ok (0.183s) using ipv4
  • Test with IPv6 DNS record bad (0.005s)
  • Test with Dual Stack DNS record ok (0.174s) using ipv4
  • Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet ok (0.196s) using ipv4
  • Test IPv4 without DNS ok (0.180s) using ipv4
  • Test IPv6 without DNS timeout (15.015s)
  • Test IPv6 large packet bad (0.013s)
  • Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6 ok (0.194s) using ipv4
  • Find IPv4 Service Provider ok (0.195s) using ipv4 ASN 22773
  • Find IPv6 Service Provider bad (0.008s)

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Rocket 93, 

Cox offers IPv6 on the Cox High Speed Optical Internet backbone and is now in the process of enabling IPv6 throughout the remainder of the network. As long as you have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem (or gateway) and your standalone router is compatible you should be fine once IPV6 is enabled. You can read more here. http://bit.ly/CoxIPV6

AllenP
    Valued Contributor

AFAIK, Cox has not implemented IPv6 for home users yet.  Once it's implemented, hopefully, it will run over DHCPv6 and you will automatically receive your configuration.  Here is Cox's info page on IPv6: http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=0bced860-9666-11df-6baf-000000000000

It says: "Business customer trials are planned for 2015. Residential customers will be IPv6 enabled, starting in 2015."  As for now if you want to tryout IPv6, you can run a 6 to 4 tunnel.  Not as good as native support but you can play for now.

Rocket_93
    New Contributor

My standalone router will be compatible once I have:

• •Network Setup Prefix
    • •Prefix Length
    • •Border Relay

Is this information not released?

• Rocket 93, 

The way I understand it, once IPv6 is launched in your area your router will receive everything automatically as long as IPv6 is turned on.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

ColleenD said:
    your router will receive everything automatically as long as IPv6 is turned on.

I don't see how that can be the case. You still need to set the set your IPv6 connection type. I have the RT-N66U, and on that router, the option that looks closest to DHCPv6 is "Stateful" with "DHCP-PD" enabled. Can this be confirmed? See emulator here.  Even within the RT-N66U, the GUI is a little different depending on the firmware, but anything else listed should just be optional and not required.

• Tecknowhelp, 

Cox is planning to fully support IPv6 in a way that is virtually transparent to the customer experience. For customers with IPv6 capable devices and software, IPv6 will need to be enabled in your home equipment. When the Cox network is completely IPv6 enabled, your IPv4 and IPv6 Internet experience should be virtually the same.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

ColleenD said:
    Cox is planning to fully support IPv6 in a way that is virtually transparent to the customer experience.

Yes but that "way" is still a specific method of obtaining IPv6. Its like saying DHCP is automatic, but you still have to set your router to DHCP. Most routers come default with IPv4 as DHCP though, so it's not as much a issue. Most routers do NOT have a default IPv6 setting, so you still have to configure them. What makes it more complicated is different routers use different wording for the same thing. IPv6 with DHCPv6 vs IPv6 with DHCP-PD, and "Automatic" IPv6 all seem to be the same thing. 

Rocket_93
    New Contributor

Tecknowhelp said:

ColleenD said:
    Cox is planning to fully support IPv6 in a way that is virtually transparent to the customer experience.

Yes but that "way" is still a specific method of obtaining IPv6. Its like saying DHCP is automatic, but you still have to set your router to DHCP. Most routers come default with IPv4 as DHCP though, so it's not as much a issue. Most routers do NOT have a default IPv6 setting, so you still have to configure them. What makes it more complicated is different routers use different wording for the same thing. IPv6 with DHCPv6 vs IPv6 with DHCP-PD, and "Automatic" IPv6 all seem to be the same thing. 

Exactly. I need to configure my Linksys EA6300 router, separate from the DPC 3010 DOCSIS 3.0 modem I am using, to enable IPv6. To do that I need:

• •Network Setup Prefix
    • •Prefix Length
    • •Border Relay 

It says so on my router's IPv6 set up page, even with "Automatic" checked.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

Rocket 93 said:
    It says so on my router's IPv6 set up page, even with "Automatic" checked.

In your case, those are optional. When I look at the emulator, I can't even fill those fields in. It looks like others had problems with the EA6300 and IPv6. A firmware update may be required. See here.