Forum Discussion

kcs989
New Contributor
9 years ago

changing location of modem

Right now my modem is located in my living room. However, my room is located on the other side of the house and the connection can be weak at times.

I want to move the modem and connect it to the port in my room. Is this possible? Does it screw anything up if I unplug the modem and move it?

chris_c21
    Contributor III

You simply unplug the modem and move to the coax in the room you want. Chances are though, if you've never used it in there, that coax jack may not be active and you won't get an internet connection. Easy to test though, and you simply go back to the current room if the coax isn't active.

• Hi KCS989,

Chris is correct. Move the modem to the new location, screw the coax cable into the outlet, connect it to your router or computer (if applicable), and plug the power in last. If the modem fails to synchronize, it may indicate that the cable outlet isn't active. If so, let us know. We can take care of that for you!

kcs989
    New Contributor

Hi Becky,

Yes there does not seem to be any connection when I screw the coax cable into the outlet. Would this cost anything to have them activate this outlet?

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

kcs989 said:
    Would this cost anything to have them activate this outlet?

Funny thing is, it depends on how you ask. Cox doesn't actually record where in the house a modem is kept. So if you call up asking for your modem to be moved, they may set it up as a modem relocate, which does cost money. However if you call up and just say your modem is offline, they will troubleshoot and if needed, send a technician. That "may" not cost money. It depends on where the problem was, how much time the technician spends, and if you have a wire protection plan on your account.