Forum Discussion

TheJensen
New Contributor
9 years ago

Arris/Motorola SB6183 with Phone service

I just got an email from COX saying that by upgrading my modem (rental or purchase) to the Arris/Motorola SB6183 I can increase my 150Mbps internet speed to 300Mbps...

The last time I upgraded my service, COX replaced my DOCSIS 3.0 modem with one of their own because I also get my phone service from COX and the modem they supplied also connect to phone line. When I look at the photos for the SB6183 I only see a single CAT 5/6 jack on the back. ** does this work with my LAN line???

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @TheJenson

There is an eMTA/Gateway all in one solution that will be coming however it's not currently available at this time.  If you choose to go with the SB6183 it can be installed along side your telephony modem so that all of your services will function.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

What phone modem do you have now? Is it a gateway? If so, you might be able to trade up to Arris TG2472 which I hear decent things about. Not avilable in all areas though.

If you do get a separate internet and phone modem, take note of your signal levels. Two modems means you have to split the cable signal to go to each one, and if your signal levels are on the low side to start with, that can cause problems. Those problems can be rectified by changing the wiring in the house, but its something to consider. 

TheJensen
    New Contributor

How I go about finding out if it's available in my area (Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ)? I was planning to purchase the modem, but I'm probably already paying for the one I have (I didn't ask to rent it, but it was part of the bundle they upgraded me to). If I can swap Box A for Box B then it's a no brainer .

I'd love to not have to add a second wire/modem and mess with the signal strength again... every time I've change/modified my service a COX tech has come out and practically rewire the house (it's too high one time and too low the next time). 

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

TheJensen said:
    How I go about finding out if it's available in my area (Phoenix/Scottsdale, AZ)

I don't think there is any set way of finding out. If you have a technician out, you can have them put the request for that model on the work order, but it will depend what is at the warehouse. Even if they have them in your area, they still might not have them in stock. They are brand new. The modem just showed up on their list a week or two ago. You might be able to call one of the stores and see if they have them in inventory, but I have found the stores hard to contact.

TheJensen said:
    f I can swap Box A for Box B then it's a no brainer

What model modem do you have now?