Forum Discussion

JT-in-AZ
New Contributor
9 years ago

Does COX work on Windows 10 Home using POP3?

I'm unable to get POP3 running on Windows 10 using the new native client.  The COX help page is a bit different than what I'm seeing on my Win10 screen.

The Win10 account setup asks:

Account name: <I'm assuming this is anything I want>
Your name: <I'm assuming this the name I want to send under>
Incoming server: pop.cox.net
Account type: POP3
User name: < I've tried both forms - xyz@cox.net & xyz - neither works (but I think with the @cox.net is correct)
Password: My password (used on my Win8.1 & Win7 machines, and verified using webmail.cox.net)
Outgoing server: smtp.cox.net

It then gives me the following four prechecked options...

(1) Outgoing server requires authentication; (2) Use the same user name and password for sending email; (3) Require SSL for incoming email; and (4) Require SSL for outgoing email.

Having all of these checked seems correct to me 

When I save the settings it tells me "All done! Your account was set up successfully."  There is another "Done" button to click and the account shows up.

But... It won't work and it has a nice red Attention required under the account.

So... is COX POP3 supposed to work on Windows 10?  I haven't tried IMAP4, but since my other machines are POP and that's the way I like to work, I'm afraid having one machine using IMAP while other use POP is a bad plan.

Any ideas?

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    DerrickW
    Valued Contributor
    Hi JT,

Some of those settings do not sound quite right for the email program that you are using.  I would like to give you a couple of links to provide some instructions.  The following link has the server settings: http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=a8fb24c0-6440-11df-ccef-000000000000.  

This link gives instructions on how to set it up in Windows 10 - http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=556004f0-3575-11e5-6d3a-000000000000.  I hope this information helps, let us know if any further assistance.