Forum Discussion

duckfutter
New Contributor
9 years ago

Router needs a reset once a day, why?

I have the ultimate package, and am running internet, cable, and phone.

Once a day I get "limited" on my wifi. A hard reset (unplugging modem for 30 seconds, plugging it back in, and then reconnection) works. But it has become daily. It will cut off in the middle of a Movie (Netflix through a smart TV, HBO GO Chromecasted through my phone), or just when I get home. 

There is no time association; my days are variable and there is inconsistent loss of function. A few times I've called Cox and they say "oh the modem works fine, just restart it"

That is getting old. 

Now, instead of my usual numbers 8775522 (changed to protect the innocent), the wifi name is 000000, which makes me think its been hacked. Which is ok... you want to steal my *** through my webcam... that is your loss, not mine. 

But this is certainly abnormal behavior, behavior that shouldnt happen. It shouldnt ask me to re-enter a password. It shouldnt die on me routinely offering "limited" connection despite maintaining the home wifi. Any ideas?

P.S. Cox support is HILARIOUS. the people on the phones have said "its working" when it clearly isnt (multiple devices havent connected) and the 24/7 chat support is unavailable. Dope. Thanks cox, for sucking so hard yet again. When Google comes into the area I'm dumping your **** SO HARD. 

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    tucansam
    New Contributor

Same.

I now have a timer on my cable modem's power adapter that resets it once a day.  And I have a crontab that downs and then ups the WAN interface on my firewall three times a day. The having to reset the cable modem ** is getting old, and spare me the drivel about tech support, I have been an engineer for 20 years and know good and *** well its not my equipment.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @duckfutter

From what you've described it sounds like the device may have reset or is having some other kind of problem.  I'd suggest pushing and holding the reset button on the device for 30 seconds to do a factory reset then see if you're still able to connect using the info on the label.

Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Do you mean modem or router? Because if your router is reseting ro default or it's SSID is changing, that is a issue with the device, not the service. What kind of device are we talking about? 

PS. You don't have to worry about giving your SSID away. Its not like anyone can use it to hack you or some how compromise your security. It's like someone knowing the color of your house.

duckfutter
    New Contributor
    ChrisL said:
    @duckfutter

From what you've described it sounds like the device may have reset or is having some other kind of problem.  I'd suggest pushing and holding the reset button on the device for 30 seconds to do a factory reset then see if you're still able to connect using the info on the label.

This is not different than me unplugging it for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. In fact, it is a worse suggestion... I have to HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN for 30 seconds? So... once a day, in order to use my premium package internet, I have to sit next to the router and do a hard reset. How about make a product that actually works? You force me to use your equipment and then ask me to reset that equipment daily. No. Have something that works better. And thanks for the bland response, coxbot... I did as you suggested. It turns out | ||| | || | || || || | ||| ||| doesn't do anything!
    duckfutter
    New Contributor
    Health Edge said:

Do you mean modem or router? Because if your router is reseting ro default or it's SSID is changing, that is a issue with the device, not the service. What kind of device are we talking about? 

PS. You don't have to worry about giving your SSID away. Its not like anyone can use it to hack you or some how compromise your security. It's like someone knowing the color of your house.

Whatever *** **** modem and router cox made me get (from them) so I can use their "premium features"
    duckfutter
    New Contributor
    duckfutter said:
    Health Edge said:

Whatever *** **** modem and router cox made me get (from them) so I can use their "premium features"
    I was kidding about the changed to protect the innocent, I just couldn't remember what it was called, so I tried to hide the lack of knowledge by pretending to be cute rather than dumb.
    duckfutter
    New Contributor
    ChrisL said:
    @duckfutter

P.S. I can always connect. After 30 seconds of unplug replug. Everything works. Just the SSID has been changed (now), and I have to do that reset daily.
    Health_Edge
    Valued Contributor III

Do you know the model number? It should be printed on a sticker on the device. First, im trying to figure out if you have a gateway or a modem and router. Keep in mind we are just customers helping you with your network. How ever little you know about it, we know even less! :-D

Also, when the wireless drops, do any wired connections stop working too?

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @duckfutter

I was actually suggesting using the reset button rather than unplugging/replugging.  If you hold the reset button for 30 seconds it reset the device to factory defaults which includes the SSID.  Disconnecting the power does not do this.