Forum Discussion

kcrandall15
New Contributor
10 years ago

Cox Secure Online Backup will not start - what worked for me

Hi,  This isn't so much a question, as a comment on what finally worked for me with the Cox Secure Online Backup Client (I'll refer to it as CSOB).  I read other unresolved posts with the same problem, but those posts are locked now and I wasn't able to respond with them.  

Originally, CSOB app was working just fine for me.  It suddenly stopped opening with an error message, and I could not figure out how to get working again.

The error message was something like:  "Secure Online Backup for Windows was either not installed properly or some unexpected error occurred while launching, please try relaunching. If the problem persists, repair / reinstall the application."

I tried to repair the installation as recommended by the error message, then uninstalling and reinstalling plus rebooting.  I tried it several times with no success. 

I finally realized that I had 2 different user accounts logged into the computer at the same time (this is my home server, and I have it set to automatically login with a different account at boot up. 

Once I logged all other accounts off the computer, CSOB no longer gave me that pesky error message.  I am reasonably sure that was my problem.  I guess it can only be run as a single instance.  Anyone other simultaneous user logging on will get the error when CSOB auto launches itself.

I hope this helps someone.

Cheers.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    EdwardH
    Valued Contributor
    I am not aware of any issues seen with multiple sessions open at the same time with the Online Backup software but I will let the development team know of it to see if it can be corrected in later updates. Thanks for the heads up.
    ---