Forum Discussion

peted
New Contributor
13 years ago

Billing issue.

In December I had suspicious activity on my checking account that was tied to my Cox auto-pay .. my bank cancelled my bank card and issued me with a new one. I forgot to update my bank details with cox and my transaction (with my old account number) was declined .... 

(This was my fault .. I accept all responsibility for this issue)

I contacted Cox and explained the issue and gave them my new card details ... they ran my new bank card, took payment and all was good .... until my next billing period ...

Cox once again contacted me telling me that my card had been declined and that I needed to get in touch with them .. I called and we quickly established that the agent that I spoke with had not updated my autopay details with my new card. Cox apologized, ran my new payment details, took their money and they updated their records for my autopay.

Fast forward to this month, once again .. a call from Cox ... my payment had been declined. I phoned and was transfered to "collections" who informed me that my bank had declined the transaction .. and they also told me that because I had now had three declines on my account that they could no longer take a payment over the phone .. the only was that I could pay my bill was via cash in person at a cox payment center.  

I called my bank .. who told me that the payment was declined because cox did not provide an expiry date/or provided an invalid expiration date for my card when they requested payment.  Another call to cox .. and the lady I spoke with told me that "Cox cannot run a payment through our system without an expiration date .. so the bank is wrong." A follow-up call to my bank .. and they told me once again that the payment was declined as cox had either not provided an expiration date, or that the date they had provided was wrong. Once again .. another call to cox .. and I was told that "we used the exact same details that we had on file from your last successful payment . so the issue is not our side .. the decision stands, you are now on "cash only"

1. Two of the three declined payments on my account are because of Cox's inability to process a payment correctly, I do not feel as though I should be punished for this.

2. My bank have informed me that the issue is 100% a problem with the details that cox entered on the payment request.

3. There is no way that I will be making a treck into a bank each month and then into a payment center to pay a bill in order to keep my service.

I am writing this in the hope that someone at Cox can help me resolve my billing issue before I just go ahead and cancel service and switch to AT&T .. I would rather not, I have had service with Cox for 12+ years now and have never had a payment issue in the past (not even a late payment) .. but I feel as though I am being backed into a corner here.

Can anyone please help me resolve this issue?

Peter Delves.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator

Hi Peter, part of the problem is legally we're not legally permitted to make any changes to  your EZ Pay details, this must be done by the customer either by signing into our site at http://www.cox.com and making the changes there or we can mail out a paper form which you can fill out and mail back.  If neither of these steps were taken we would continue to process your payments each month with the old information.