Forum Discussion

Fish_Hawk
New Contributor
12 years ago
Solved

Microsoft Zune software

Anyone having trouble with Zune locking up  / freezing while using Zune   Takes 5 min to load then freezes or locks up .Heard it is a Cox server problem????

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator

There's no connection between us and Zune so I'm not sure how we would be involved.  As far as I know Zune was end of life.  You may wish to reach out to Microsoft's support to see if there is still any support for this product.

leg123
    New Contributor

Regarding Chris' comment... First, I'm not surprised Cox denies the problem...  But it is their DNS servers that are screwed up.  Change your DNS servers from COX to either Google DNS or OpenDNS and you'll notice the problem resolves after closing and reopening the Zune software.  Second, Zune is not at end of life and it's still used in Windows up to and including 7; Zune or Xbox Music may be used in Windows 8.

It's a shameful that Cox has had this issue for over a month and it's still going on.

In Windows 7 or 8 the instructions are about the same:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

jamccart
    New Contributor

Yes, I am also having problems. 

First, Zune is not "end of life".  It is still the software that supports Windows Phones.

Do an internet search and you'll see people having problems are Cox customers.  I sent an email to Microsoft and their first question was:  are you on Cox?

Change the DNS servers as leg123 says solves the problem.  So, it must be something at Cox. 

pjfan
    New Contributor

Another approach if you want to still use the Cox DNS servers is to override some of the Zune DNS entries in your computer's hosts file (for instructions, see http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-7/edit-hosts-file-in-windows-7-windows-vista/).  It seems that Cox is still resolving some of the retired Zune domains.

The following entries in the hosts file seem to have done the trick:

0.0.0.0 socialapi.zune.net

0.0.0.0 comments.zune.net

• The Zune software is no longer supported by Microsoft. It has been changed/rewritten to be Xbox music now, no matter what our windows phones may say.

There is NO support for the Zune software anymore.

Fish_Hawk
    New Contributor

Changed my DNS to Cox Alternate Servers as per somebody??.... fixed it.Going to open DNS would probably work too.Zune IS NOT DEAD.Cox has terrible service.They refuse to think any problems are theirs.  Pretty bad when you have to get answers off the net from somebody else.