Forum Discussion

Dryheat
New Contributor
4 years ago

Stereo receiver hook up

I just hooked my stereo receiver to my cox contour box and tv. The cox contour box is hooked up my stereo receiver with an hdmi line. The tv is also hooked up to my stereo receiver with an hdmi line using the hdmi arc connections. I have noticed that when I use the cox contour remote to turn off my contour box and tv, the tv does go off. However, the sound of the channel that was last on still is coming through on my stereo receiver. Does anyone have a fix for this or is inherent with the cox contour box because the box does not actually turn off until after four hours?

8 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Is your Contour box designed to be powered off?  Meaning, some boxes stayed powered all the time.  Mine stays powered.

You could also pair your Cox remote with your stereo to also shut down.

bearone2
    Contributor III

you're using a 2nd hdmi port for stereo, which doesn't need the tv on.

power the stereo on with it's own controller if you can't pair the contour to the stereo.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

...or connect Contour directly to TV and then ARC to stereo.  If the TV is off, its HDMI is off.

With this configuration, the question becomes:  which connection sounds better?

I wouldn't expect a lot of high-end audio coming outta Contour; however, if a source is embedding some type of Atmos-lite channels, the eARC port on the TV would solve this.  That is, if the TV has an eARC HDMI port.

bearone2
        Contributor III

2 separate channels, i can live with the splitter for tv/internet??

i'm not familiar with arc but do attach my dvd player to hdmi2/switch to hdmi2 source, don't need contour powered on.