Forum Discussion

HDTV_Guy
Contributor
3 years ago

Native video resolution change?

I currently get my Cox video stream using a Cox supplied cablecard. I understand that the CODEC has been change(MPEG4) but I'm also seeing that the native video resolution has also changed. For example, NBC, which typically outputs 1080i is now coming in from Cox at 720P. Is this excepted behavior or is there something I need to do to revert back to 1080i?

10 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

720p is actually better than 1080i because an interlaced format only displays half (540) lines per pass.

Anyway, are there video settings within the card?  If there is a "best" setting, select it because the card will upscale 1080i to 1080p.

HDTV_Guy
      Contributor

Yeah... I didnt want to debate the 1080i vs 720P... just wanted to know if the change I am seeing is intentional behavior. This was not the case a month ago.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Are there setting for the card?

I_am_Richard
      New Contributor III

Converting from 1080i to 720p requires deleting just over 55% of the original data.  Whether or not it is "better" is a user preference.  Personally, I wouldn't consider 45% of a book better than 100% of that book, even if I read that 45% twice.  Nor would I consider 45% of my paycheck better than 100% of my paycheck, even if I received that 45% twice.  But to each his own.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Converting from 1080i to 720p would actually be a downscale.  Upscaling is usually on an interlaced format or from 480 to 720.  Conversion doesn't "delete" data but deinterlaces data.

I didn't write the OP's 720p was a result of a conversion from 1080i.  720p would be a native resolution of the network.

I_am_Richard
    New Contributor III

When Cox transitioned to MPEG4, they also decided to downgrade1080i content to 720p.  I think that is the expected result.

defdog
    New Contributor II

that happened in omaha.  Then 3 months later our cable cards no longer work on non-local channels.

My guess is the 1080 feed is the higher encryption DRM that the cable cards don't support.  So it negotiates down to 720p.  Enjoy it for now.  It's going away.

HDTV_Guy
      Contributor

I'm seeing this on the non-DRM channels. eg, locals