Forum Discussion

awk
New Contributor
4 years ago

HDMI Connection

My TV only has two HDMI ports. I currently have my Cox cable box in one and my Roku device in the other, but my new DVD player needs one as well. The only way I can do that is to disconnect the cable when using the DVD player. Is there another way to connect my cable box?

12 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What's the make/model of your cable box?

awk
      New Contributor

It's a Contour stream player. I don't know the model number.

James_Scott
    New Contributor II

You can purchase an HDMI switch.  Monoprice has them for less than $13 ( https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8149 ) and I am sure they are available on Amazon too.  I have one as I am in the same situation, except my old TV only has one HDMI input.  I have a 3 port switch for Bluray, Cable Box and Roku, works just fine.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Do you need a separate remote to switch between inputs?  I wonder if any switches are HDMI-CEC compatible.  If you have UHD equipment, make sure its UHD compatible.

These are just thoughts for the OP if he or she decides to go with a switch.

awk
        New Contributor

It's not UHD. I don't know what CEC means.

awk
      New Contributor

I thought this would be a good solution, but I see that I'd have to use a switch button. The ports are behind my TV, which is in a corner. If I'm going to have to move it to get to the switch, I may as well move it to change from the cable box to the DVD player. If I'm misunderstanding this, please let me know!

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

An HDMI Switcher isn't a switch you physically flip.  It's a device with multiple HDMI ports for your devices and one cable to connect to your TV.  It just adds more ports to your TV.

My question is how do you change or select a connected device...a dedicated remote control of the switch or can you pair the switch to your Contour remote.

HDMI-CEC.  As you know, you connect devices with cables.  These cables carry audio/video data.  However, HDMI-CEC can use these cables to carry communications.  Not your personal communications but inter-device communications.  For example, if you power on a Blu-ray player, the Blu-ray player sends a signal to the TV and the TV...through HDMI-CEC...automatically switches its input to the Blu-ray player.

An HDMI Switcher is a solution but is it worth getting one now if your TV is kinda old.  Could you move this TV to a bedroom, den, etc?

James_Scott
      New Contributor II

The one I suggested at Monoprice does switch automatically, "

Features:

• Automatic or manual switching"
        Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

How?  What the technology?