Forum Discussion

CUTiger78
New Contributor III
2 years ago

DVR Won't Record Scheduled Shows

Just within the last couple of days, my Contour Record 6 DVR stopped recording scheduled recordings. Manually set recordings are OK. I have power-cycled the DVR and rebooted twice in the last 24 hours. Phone support guy was unable to effect a reboot from his end. Any ideas?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Do you have a Contour (Contour 2) or Cox TV (Contour 1) cable box?

I can't speak for Contour but a Cox TV cable box will fail to record scheduled programming if the respective program entry in Series Manager has been corrupted.  You can determine if that has occurred by selecting any program in Series Manager and pressing the "B" button ("Modify Series Priority").  If you see an error after doing that, you have one or more corrupted entries.  Select the entry in Series Manager for the program that failed to record and select "Edit Record Options".  If you get an error, that program entry is corrupted.  Delete it and re-create it from the Guide.  If you still get an error when "B" is pressed while a Series Manager entry is selected, you have one or more other corrupted entries.  Error resolution will require selecting "Edit Record Options" for each entry in Series Manager until you have identified and deleted all corrupted entries.

Selecting a program in Series Manager and pressing the "B" button runs a query for a collection of all programs in Series Manager.  If any program entriy is corrupted, the process will fail.  “Edit Record Options” applies to a selected program only.  If it’s corrupted, the process will fail for that program only.  That’s how to identify corrupted program entries.  The solution is to identify and delete all corrupted programs in Series Manager and re-create them from the Guide.

If you have a Contour box, you might be able to fix your issue by applying a Contour version of the above process.  See Managing Contour Scheduled Recordings

If you're able to fix your issue, post what you did so that other Forum members can benefit.

CUTiger78
      New Contributor III

I have a Contour 1 box. "Edit Record Option" works for all the missed recordings from yesterday & overnight into this morning. It doesn't appear that problem is the cause or fix.

I notice this morning that my DVR has not identified missed recordings since it missed the first 2 on Friday. After missing those 2, I did a power off reboot. I can now manually record, but all scheduled recordings are failing.

BTW, the Cox telephone support guy was unable to effect a reboot from his end, so the only reboot option for me was the power off reboot of the DVR.

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

Did you try to reset your cable box from the Cox website?

SIgn into Cox > My account > TV > (Equipment: Cox TV Box) Reset device

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have any scheduled programs recorded since you first noticed the problem?  Schedule something to record in the next few minuites and see what happens.

Do you know there wasn't an outage when scheduled programming failed?  I'm not sure how you verify that, but if failed recordings was an isolated incident, it could have been due to an outage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you get an error when you accessed the "Modify Series Priority" screen?

DVR Guide > Series Manager > Right arrow B button

If you could get to the "Modify Series Priority" screen, you don't have corrupted programs.  The "Edit Record Options" test wouldn't have been necessary.

Since you're able to set manual recordings, your DVR service status is probably okay, but you could contact cox.help@cox.com and ask them to check on it.  Include your name, full service address and a link to this Forum thread.