Forum Discussion

marz
New Contributor
5 years ago

Contour box shuts off automatically

Just had my cable installed Monday and got 4 Contour boxes. On one, it automatically shuts off after 15 minutes. Once that happens, the remote will turn on my TV and sound bar but not the cable box, and the box won’t turn on manually with its power button either. Only way to get it back is to unplug and replug it back on. Then it stays on after I use the remote to turn it off.

So anyone know why the cable is shutting off on its own? Why is the only way to get it back on to unplug the box? And should the blue light be staying on after we power it down?

4 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Marz, in reference to the receiver shutting off after 15 minutes, have you tried looking into the power save mode in the device settings, http://bit.ly/2KndHpT? Also, does the receiver actually shut down or does the screen go black? The blue light should always be on, and Cox has taken steps to improve the energy efficiency of our receivers. More information about that can be obtained here, http://bit.ly/2KsuNmx. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      marz
      New Contributor

It shuts down completely. Even if it is a power save mode, why won’t it turn back on without unplugging it?

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        This is not a normal occurrence, as the receiver should not shutdown every 15 minutes, and then fail to reboot. At this point, it may be best to have a service technician go out to the home to investigate further. I'm sorry you're having this experience, and I wish there was more I could do for you. If you'd like a technician to go out, please include a link to this forum thread and email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Probably a bad power supply or heating issue.  Cox issued a bad box.  It happens.