Forum Discussion

scorpion136
New Contributor
3 months ago

Bridge mode for Pano with wireless receivers?

I spoke at length today with tech support.  We just replaced our old Contour box and Pano7 modem/router with a wireless receiver (connects to the TV via HDMI cable) and Pano8 modem/router.

I would like to put the Cox modem into bridge mode, since I have a nice Amplifi mesh local router and wifi network.  (This will speed up our internet service, since both boxes won't be doing the same things).

However, I was told that for my TV to continue to function with the Cox modem in bridge mode I would need to run an ethernet wired cable from the "wireless" receiver (at the TV) all the way to the Cox Pano8 modem.  This is because once the wifi services on the Pano8 box are turned off by enabling bridge mode, the "wireless" receiver won't be able find the internet, and there is no way to tell the "wireless" receiver to use my Amplifi home wifi network instead of the Cox Pano router to reach Cox for TV services.

Can the forum moderators confirm this, and is there any way to tell the "wireless" TV receiver to use *my* wifi network instead of connecting directly to the Cox modem/router wifi?

• Hi, there. Thank you for your inquiry and I apologize for the confusion we may have created for you. With the gateway in bridge mode, it will disable the DHCP assignment. You can likely connect your "mesh" router to the panoramic gateway without setting the gateway into bridge mode. The pass-through is likely unnecessary, as your router will be assigning IPs on a different subnet (ie, 192,168.1.1 or 192,168.2.1). The gateway will use 192,168.0.1.  I hope this helps explain. 

scorpion136
      New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.   I know I can connect my mesh router to the panoramic gateway without enabling bridge mode on the panoramic device.  However, by enabling bridge mode on the Panoramic device I can almost double my internet speed, by avoiding both routers incurring overhead.  So there is a benefit to me, which is why I am looking for a way to enable bridge mode but still have my wireless TV receivers work.

Darkatt
        Honored Contributor

A better suggestion is setup your MESH router as an Access point, and use the same SSID settings from the pano wifi on the mesh system. That's going to be a better alternative. AND will demonstrably increase your range and wifi capabilities. 

Setting up as an access pint means not losing any speed as well. 

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

Bridge mode may disable the contour boxes, see below for a suggestion