Forum Discussion

The_Cats
New Contributor
5 years ago

Voice Tools - History - Outbound calls No CallerID, just phone number after mid June 2019

Have talked to several Reps and all say this was a "Feature Change" that happened mid june when new Voice tools add NoMORobo functionally.

When I view my History, prior to mid June - All of my outbound calls still show CallerID data and after mid June only the Phone number. When I view the Voice Tools via Cox Connect App they show the phone number and "unknown" under it.

I feel this is a "Programming" error and NOT a "New Feature". Where is the documentation?

Please restore this functionally.

35 Replies

ChrisB
    Community Manager

Hello All,

I wanted to follow up on this since there has been some confusion regarding Caller ID on Voice Tools.  The Cats was migrated to Cox Voice recently which brings with it a handful of new features and functionality.  The ability to see information for the outbound number when dialing is uncommon by today's standards and is limited to some Cox markets on the older Cox Digital Telephony platform.  By definition, "Caller ID" information is provided by the originating carrier for the incoming call, and is not generated for display to the individual placing a call. 

Having said that, Voice Tools will display the name of the person you are calling if the name and number of the person are in your Address Book.

We are working to update our Voice Tools support documentation to better reflect this.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

-ChrisB

The_Cats
      New Contributor

Thank you, ChrisB, for your followup.

I live in San Diego, CA area and the migration to the "NEW" Cox Voice with "new features and functionality" occurred on June 7th, 2018. The Outbound CallerID being listed in the Voice tools had been there for well over a year.

As a Software developer, let me analyze this: A "Feature" that was in Production in the "older Cox Digital Telephony platform" was not considered in the migration as part of your "handful of new features and functionality", because it was "Uncommon".

The Voice Tools are part of a "Product" provided by COX Phone Systems. The "uncommon" use of recording Outbound CallerID  in ones "Call History" meant that they were providing "beyond the Common", giving their customers a more robust "Call History".

"Feature Suggestion"- In reviewing my own history, 95% on my calls were to people that had called me in the past. I developed a web interface tool that would "lookup", using my Inbound history and then display the "CallerID" or "Address Name" matching those phone numbers to my Outbound calls.

The remainder of Outbound Calls, these being numbers I has looked up on the Internet, like the COX Communication and Support contacts numbers and Auto Repair places where as you say "needed to be added to my "Address Book", one by one, so I would see a Name associated to the phone number.

In using the different Voice Apps (Cox Connect, VoiceEverywhere) on my iPhone or Samsung Tablet (VoiceEverywhere did NOT install), each having their own different "Contacts/Address Books" - which becomes a maintenance problem having to keep them "matched".

In today's Mobile World, being able to look in my Call History on my iPhone or Tablet and see "That" Name to Number of the places I called in the past is of great value and convenience - yes it maybe "uncommon", but what a great feature to provide your customers with, going beyond the "Common".

I hope that COX Phone Systems reconsiders their "Uncommon" use position and takes an advanced re-look at the value of this "Old" feature.