Forum Discussion

sazurb
New Contributor
6 months ago

Need to get transfer pin to switch from Cox mobile

I transferred my mobile phone number that I have had for years to Cox mobile to check out the service. Now I want to port that number to a different mobile carrier, I need to provide that carrier with an account number and a transfer pin. I called customer service and was told that Cox would have to cancel the phone service. I was hesitant to do so because this would leave me without a phone number that I have used for the past 20 years. (Cox provides the following instructions when transferring a mobile number to Cox: Do not cancel service with your current carrier until you’ve successfully transferred your phone number to Cox Mobile. To transfer your phone number to Cox Mobile, you’ll need account information from your previous carrier, including your account number and a transfer PIN) It made no sense to me that to transfer to Cox mobile I was told not to cancel prior service but to transfer from Cox mobile to another carrier I have to cancel Cox mobile before the transfer???Other carriers provide a transfer pin before a transfer which can be given to the new service provider to begin the transfer process. Does anyone know how I can get a transfer pin without cancelling my Cox mobile service until the new carrier reaches out to Cox mobile to begin the port out process?

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hello, sazurb

You are correct in that you should absolutely not cancel your mobile service with Cox. The telephone number must remain active in order to port it to another provider. We have a process in place to provide you with a port-out PIN. Normally we would ask you to email us for help with your account, but in this case, the Social Media Team/Forum Moderators are unable to assist. All mobile concerns are handled by a specialized team so you must call to speak to them directly. If you need the number to call, please check the Customer Information section located at the end of your monthly Cox statement. 

If you need help with any other account related matters, please email us at cox.help@cox.com at your convenience. 

The purpose of the Cox forums is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox services with other customers and we encourage our users to assist each other where possible via this avenue. Since this topic is one our community can't assist with, I am going to lock this thread.