Forum Discussion

BlockStar
New Contributor
7 years ago

Upload throttling?

Hi there,

I am not looking to rant about throttling just get a resolution to an issue that seems unlikely to be solved through the support line.

.....I have had two occasions (in over 10 years of Cox Internet service) where I can consistently "break" my connectivity by running a  heavy uplink bandwidth application. The first occasion was in 2013...  Through normal support I ended up having a tech to the house and got a new cable modem and the max throughput was improved some, but the failure behavior was unchanged. In this case I solved my issue by enabling a software throttle on the application itself (this application was Google Drive Sync while trying to to an initial upload of ~600gb of media). 

The second occasion is during the last few days... this time I have upgraded my plan (From Preium to Ultimate plus 500GB extra data limit). With this I received the latest Arris firewall/modem. I have also removed my own firewall from the equation. Again, my general performance is improved but I still "break" my connection whenever I run a particular up-heavy application, every time. This time it is Microsoft's Sharepoint Migration Tool, which bulk uploads data to Office 365. In this case, I don't have the option to throttle the software (but my work deadline for getting this content uploaded is 5 days away and I'm getting nervous with no solution). 

By "Break" my Internet I mean that the upload ability decreases to such a point that the service is effectively unusable.On speed tests it show 0.8 mbit or so, but it is slow enough that web pages time out and so forth... broken. And in any case I am unable to use this particular application to do the uploads I need to use this app to do the uploads  (and would gladly do that at anything near my purchased 30 mbit service level). This failure mode seems to last about an hour or two. It seems that resetting the modem makes no difference in this but I probably have not experimented enough to know for sure. In the meantime, with at least a couple resets it always comes back on its own in an hour or two. In this failure mode, it makes no difference what my destination is.... speed test... any web site, etc. So this is certainly not a path-specific throttle or a destination-implemented throttle. 

So my question is... should it be ever be possible for me to do ANYTHING as a network user that would cause my network performance to change and change with a memory (i.e. not just an instantaneous change but a dgradation that persists independent of anything going on on my local network)? (and if so how can avoid it?)  I have about a TB to upload and 30 mbit would be just fabulous, and this is within what I have paid for. 

If there is no reason to believe this "memory" is intentional in the Cox network, then I would love to try any troubleshooting you would recommend beyond the normal stuff I would have to spend a lot of time on with the support line.... I.e.  I just (successfully) activated a new service today and have all new equipment, so I think we can safely say we can rule out the "usual stuff". My only regret is that I didn't "break" it while the activation agent was still on the line ;)

Hope that info is useful, Please let me know if I can provide any other details.

Thanks in advance

7 Replies

PanicDriven
    New Contributor

Not trying to steal your thread, just didn't want to create multiple threads for the same issue.

Having a very similar issue. I have ultimate with unlimited data. For the past week i have been getting about 1Mbps up. Had a tech come out but it was during a time that my upload was good. He said to call him if it started messing up again. It started happening again a few hours later. He said he would bring a different modem for me to try the next day, but then texted me saying i might be charged if he lets me use his modem. So I've been debating going and buying another SB6190 but didn't want to waste $100. I live a little east of OKC, 73115 area. 

Hopefully we figure something out.

UPDATE: It's not the modem. I just purchased and activated a new modem but the problem persists. I have a new tech scheduled to come out Friday.

vbhandyman
    New Contributor

Hi, I have found most of the time that the site (ftp, http, etc) that is accepting the upload is the culprit. Try finding a site that accepts uploads (like google docs or something) and try uploading and see if it runs at your limit or is below.

• Hello PanicDriven, The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need for someone to look into your account personally. We can definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.
  • Hello BlockStar, We would not be throttling the connection. Could be possible noise in the area that may only show up on these uploads, but we would be happy to look into this with you and see what we can find. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the full service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.
  • They are doing the same thing to my girlfriend and I here in Las Vegas. We never have gone over our data cap but for some reason every single night at about 9:50 pm they throttle our upload and download speeds. The download speed isn't so bad but they often bring the upload speed down to 1 mbps or less. This has been ongoing since September 2017 and I have had so many service reps out here I have lost count. Seriously considering switching to Cox Business to see if this issue would end. Unfortunately Cox has a monopoly in this area and they realize it so they are abusing their customers quality of service!

• @Pizzazz Picasso

We can look into this ongoing issue for you. Please send us an email with your full name and address to cox.help@cox.com so we can help.

Thanks,

Allan - Cox Support Forums Moderator.

magis123
    New Contributor II

Pizzazz Picasso said:
    They are doing the same thing to my girlfriend and I here in Las Vegas. We never have gone over our data cap but for some reason every single night at about 9:50 pm they throttle our upload and download speeds. The download speed isn't so bad but they often bring the upload speed down to 1 mbps or less. This has been ongoing since September 2017 and I have had so many service reps out here I have lost count. Seriously considering switching to Cox Business to see if this issue would end. Unfortunately Cox has a monopoly in this area and they realize it so they are abusing their customers quality of service!

Pizzazz, I started experiencing the same thing started as 2017-01-21 as well.  I keep messaging Cox and they keep telling me we are doing maintenance.  They said every night since early January starting at 9PM each night.  Really helpful for all of us on the west coast but according to them they do maintenance when 'no one is on' starting at midnight east coast time.