Forum Discussion

Dbenedict24
New Contributor
11 months ago

Speed??

I pay for 1 gig but constantly push 500 mbps. So should I get 50% off?

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Look at your signal levels at 192.168.0.1 > login > Connection > Cox Network > Scroll down for downstream and upstream levels. Do you have 2 downstream OFDM channels? Are they between -5db and +5db?

TiffanyR
    Former Moderator

Hello Dbenedict24,

I am truly sorry to hear that you are experiencing speed trouble. I am happy to help troubleshoot the speed issues and I am sure some of the community members can help as well. I have listed some troubleshooting steps to troubleshoot speed issues. When you have a chance, can you try these steps and let us know the results.

1. Check your connections: Please ensure that your connections are secured, your cables are undamaged and are in good health, and bypass any splitters by making a connection directly from the wall to the modem. This will help ensure that your modem is receiving the best signal from us.

2. Restart your system: Please reboot the modem (and router) by unplugging the power to the modem (and router) for 30 seconds and then reconnect it. This will refresh the connection and can help resolve several errors and ensure your equipment are communicating with each other.

3. Bypass Router: If you are using a stand-alone router, try bypassing it. You can connect via a wired connection directly to the modem. You may need to reboot the modem again to re-establish a handshake with the new device connected. Connect a computer or device directly to the modem using an ethernet cable. Make sure that WiFi is turned off on your device. This will help rule out any trouble with the wifi.

4. Perform a speed test: Run a speed test at https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/speedtest.html Then check out this article on https://www.cox.com/residential/support/understanding-speed-test-results.html.

If you need any assistance with your account, bill, or credit, please reach out to us at cox.help@cox.com with your name, address, and a description of your concerns.

The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox High Speed Internet services with other customers. If you need help with billing or other account specific issues, please reach us on Twitter at CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com.