Forum Discussion

bigd9834
New Contributor
6 months ago

Speed drops to 30mbps

I am on the 500/50 plan, last two weeks my download speed would drop to 30mbps, i would have to power cycle the modem or reset it thru cox app, it works for about 2-5 days then it drops to 30 again. My modem is arris sb8200 and I logged in and checked all the power levels and snr, all are within range. I reset it to factory and will see how it goes. Just wanted to see if anyone alse having this issue, i am in Phoenix.

13 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like your modem is falling into partial service mode. Can you post your signal levels from 192.168.100.1? Either copy/paste or post a screenshot to Imgur. Also, what do the logs say? If you post them, be sure to edit out your CM MAC address for privacy.

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Signal levels look a little high on some channels. Can you describe how the coaxial gets from the street to the room the modem is in? Also, do you see anything in the logs from around the time your speed drops to ~30Mbps? Finally, are you testing direct to the modem or through a router?

bigd9834
      New Contributor

Coax goes from outside directly into the modem (line ran by cox 6 years ago). Since i factory reset the modem it hasn't dropped to 30 yet. Yes testing behind the router. Cant really test hardwired directly to modem, i would have to leave laptop connected to the modem for a long time and wait for it to drop or when it drops i would have to power cycle the modem in order to connect laptop to get new MAC reregistered. Its not the router since i dont do anything to the router, just power cycle modem. 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Hopefully a factory reset helps. If it occurs again, compare your signal levels and check the logs. Also, even if you can connect a laptop directly to the modem for a few minuets, that would go far to isolate the problem. Even if it occurs for a few seconds connected to the modem, that would rule out your router. Last, what model router do you have? Some have a internal speed test that you can access from the UI. I assume otherwise you are using Cox's speed test?

bigd9834
    New Contributor

Its a linksys ea7300, what i will do if it drops again is connect laptop to second port on a modem and you can access admin page that way and will see what it shows then

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor

Connecting to the second port won't get you a IP so you won't be able to get online to run a speed test.

bigd9834
        New Contributor

so it happened again after about 7 days after factory reset, I captured signal level when it happened

AllisonL

Hi bigd9834. We value your business and apologize for your trouble with your speeds. Have you tried swapping your ethernet cable?