Forum Discussion

DaviddLV
New Contributor
4 years ago

South Las Vegas SLOW internet

I live near the South Point hotel. I'm on the 50mb plan. My download speeds have been around 10mb for a few weeks. Starting last week they got so bad I'm at 5mb download and 0.25mb upload. It is impossible to get Cox on the phone or live chat or text. What is the deal with this? The internet is basically useless at this point. My immediate neighbors experience the same issues.

What is the deal with this? 5mb download and 0.25 upload is basically unusable.

26 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Similar issue here.  Last 3 nights (that I've checked) I'm throttled at 10-15 Mbps.  Yesterday morning (around 5am), I was at 700+.  Today, early afternoon about 80, now tonight, back down to 10-15.  Neighbor has the same exact results (both on Gig Coax).  Modem log/levels are clean and I've checked directly into the modem (bypass home network completely).

I don't expect 900+ all the time, but at the MINIMUM I should always be above the [cheaper] internet tier below me right?

Located @ Eastern/215

mpaulsonusn
      New Contributor II

same here. Gigablast internet...getting 12 mb download 30 upload. 6 am...600mb/s download. 9 am back to 12 mb download.

I could be paying $25 a month for this speed. I also pay for Cox streaming cable and cant even watch tv because its so slow.  Cox says its my fault and i need my house wires replaced and should pay them to do it. BS

FatDaddyWampus
        Contributor

Getting 700+ here, right now @ 7am, which is what I used to get all day everyday.  Tonight, I'm sure it will be right back to 10Mbps.  Garbage.

GZRGaMeR
    New Contributor II

I live just a little south just off Vegas Blvd. and I'm having the same problem for a couple weeks. 9-30Mbps download speeds on a 150Mbps account. Wasted the time to get in touch with Cox CS and they just parrot the standard "reboot everything" troubleshooting 101. Like the Cox website, they own up to nothing. The problems MUST be on the consumer end. Right... Cox is stealing our money.

LatitiaS
      Hello GZRGaMeR,

My apologies for the delayed response, as we are experiencing a higher than normal volume due to recent storm activity in various localities. I would like very much an opportunity to look into your speed issues. Please send us an email to cox.help@cox.com. Be sure to include the URL so we can identify you. I look forward to working with you.

Latitia
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        GZRGaMeR
        New Contributor II

I am corresponding with CS via email now. Speed this morning around 120-130Mbps, acceptable if still below what I was getting last month. Speed this evening 13.5Mbps! Obviously, the Cox infrastructure is unable to handle the current load, though the company has no problem handling the overpriced fees they're charging us for 1/10th of the throughput. This is theft, pure and simple.

membrane
    New Contributor II

Gigablast customer here. Speed throttled all the way down to 20MB or less EVERY NIGHT from 6:30-11:30pm which makes streaming video impossible.  Neighbors with gigablast have same issues.  Cox is stealing our money!

LatitiaS
      Hi Membrane,

I am sorry to learn of your connection troubles. Please note that Cox does not boost nor throttle our internet speeds. We want you to enjoy your services! Please send us an email with your address to cox.help@cox.com so that we may look into your speed issues.

Latitia

Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Leonidas
        New Contributor

It is hard to enjoy anything when you are paying $122.00 per month for 6 mbps download. I get way better speed tethering my laptop to my AT&T phone.

melissa_martin
    New Contributor III

yep. gigablast here. i live over by sams town. From 8am to 1am everyday our speeds avg 5-25 mbps down, uploads are fine. i have been taking screenshots of the speed tests, i reccomend you do the same, and you can post them here. Or we can make a site called coxinternetisstealingourmoney.com and post them there. :)

Leonidas
      New Contributor

I've been screen capturing speed tests for 4 months now. Yes COX is not delivering anything even close to what they are charging for. I'm not even getting speeds close to their lowest-priced plan but am paying $122 per month. When you look at the numbers over the last 4 months I think I've been cheated out of roughly $400 to $500.

LisaH
        Hi Leonidas. I can understand how frustrated you must be. We will be glad to see what is happening. Please reach out to us on Twitter at @CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Allan
      @Melissa, Are you experiencing this issue on multiple/all devices in the home or just one? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
  • Hello DaviddLV. Your modem is reporting a lot of time out errors. Are there any splitters or signal amps on the cable line going to the modem? -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.

joanford
    New Contributor

I have the same problem. Speeds are fine in the morning and single digits in the afternoon/evening. I’ve had three techs out. They can’t find a problem but can see that I am having a problem. 

Was also told by a cox Tech that they do indeed throttle speeds.  But I feel like a get a different story every time I talk to someone. 

I didn’t have any problems until I upgraded my service and my modem. 

melissa_martin
      New Contributor III

they know what the issue is. I dont think they throttle, but there is way too many people on this network and they are refusing to admit the issue, and refusing to spend the capital to fix. 

SharonL
      Former Moderator
      Hello,

The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone, and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to investigate your account personally. We would be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started.

Sharon
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Great_Scott
    New Contributor

Thanks for posting this, DaviddLV! I was completely confused as to why my speed suddenly tanked before I saw your post.

Allan
      @Great_Scott, I recommend sending us a private message with your full name, address, and a brief description of the issue to cox.help@cox.com. -Allan, Cox Support Forums Moderator.
    LV_Cox_User
    New Contributor

I too have been logging my speed that is only 10-25% of what I am paying for.  I will be filing complaint with the FCC shortly,  I suggest everyone else does the same. Good luck.

GZRGaMeR
      New Contributor II

Check your speed again. Last night my connection returned to a proper 150Mbps rate and it remains so today. Clearly, Cox addressed whatever problem they had with their internal infrastructure, but of course without admitting to anything. So credit to them for the fix, discredit for the misinformation.

LV_Cox_User
        New Contributor

My speed has improved greatly as well. Last night i received 228 - 290 down and 30 up on my 300/30 plan.  I continue to log and have not cancelled my tech appointment for Saturday.  At the very least I will print my logs and give them to the tech.  As long as they can maintain these speeds I will be satisfied.  

I have been a Cox customer for 20 years and upgraded to the 300/30 plan 2 years ago.  I have always gotten 325-330 down until recently.  Of course no expectation for Cox to provide more than advertised, but it was nice.

I read the FCC 8th and 9th broadband reports and Cox has always performed well.  Hopefully they will get their infrastructure issues resolved and continue to provide the level of service that has kept my business all these years. But I will continue to log and document, just in case.

As far as misinformation I am not the only person that was advised they needed a new modem only to purchase one and it made no difference.  I will keep my shiny new DOCSIS 3.1 modem anyway.

chrsmsn1974
    New Contributor

Glad I checked here as I assumed I'm not the only one.  We have Gigablast in Southern Highlands, and I have not seen speeds hitting even 50% of what's advertised for the last few months.  Upgraded the modem to MOTOROLA MG7700 24X8 Cable Modem Plus AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router with Power Boost, 1000 Mbps Maximum DOCSIS 3.0 - Approved by Comcast Xfinit, which was reviewed as one of the best on the approved Cox list.  Ordered brand new CAT6E cables to make sure it wasn't a cable issue.  I've done many resets of the modem through Cox support website, as well as hard resets.

I've been in IT for years, and support loves to point the finger back at our house and hardware.  The online agent today insisted I was at 85% of my usage and kept pushing a sell to upgraded to unlimited data.  After explaining that I was currently at 64% utilization (cox app), and that I monitor our usage regularly, and have alerts set up, he just kept pushing more data.  Bandwidth and data usage are completely different issues.  If I was getting anywhere close to the advertised 940 Mbps, I'd gladly upgrade to unlimited data.  I haven't hit the usage cap at all over the last 4 months (or longer), so what is Cox doing to fix speeds?  I've only been a customer since 1998, but I guess loyalty doesn't get you far.

Speedtest.net results while chatting with support today.  AVG of 33% of the DL speeds I'm paying for.  Maybe we should reduce my bill by 66% if we can't give the speeds that are advertised:

DL Mbps / UL Mbps

316.67 / 8.07 (33%)

220.06 / 19.86 (23%)

315.03 / 20.67 (33%)

252.58 / 16.65 (26%)

472.14 / 17.84 (50%)

DustinP
      chrsmsn1974, Please continue to utilize our Cox App to monitor your data usage. With the speed loss still happening for you we can help reserve a service appointment. You may email us at Cox.Help@cox.com for assistance.

Dustin
      Cox Forum Support Moderator