Forum Discussion

daddydante88
New Contributor
10 months ago

Port forwarding causes all devices to drop connection every 2 to 3 minutes.

Pretty much what it says on the tin. I have a panoramic router and I have to go into the app of all things on my phone because somebody had the bright idea to disable the feature in the web interface. (I hate you whoever you are)

Enabling port forwarding for a particular device so I can have a dedicated server set up for one of my favorite games immediately causes every device connected to the network to drop connection and then reconnect and repeating this pattern every 2 to 3 minutes. Anyone have any ideas how to get around this?

Darkatt
    Honored Contributor

get off the pano modem. the LAST good one was the 1682. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

I am sorry you have to suffer through having a Panoramic gateway. From what I hear here, those stink. As you see, they are making port forwarding harder and harder. I think they don't want customers using servers and this is how they enforce it. Similar to how they are making email worse because they will probably drop it one day. If you are serious about your network, I would suggest buying your own router. Not only are you not giving Cox the rental money, but it gives you more control over your network.

daddydante88
      New Contributor

Any particular recommendation? I've already figured that that's got to be the case.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

A couple things to consider.

1. Do you need the Panoramic gateway? Some things that require it is wireless TV boxes and Homelife Security.
        2. Do you pay for the gateway? Some people get it for free as part of their contract. If so, you can put it in bridge mode and use/buy your own router. I can give instructions how once I know that is something that interest you.
        3. Do you have Cox Phone service? If so, you are eligible for a free phone/internet modem(eMTA). This would save you from having to buy a modem.

With that said, you need a modem AND a router. You could buy another non Panoramic modem/router combo but I don't advise it. As for what modem and router to buy, it depends on your needs. What speed do you pay for? Do you need or have any Wifi 6E or Wifi 7 devices?  How many ethernet ports do you need? Is there anything else you need your router to do besides port forwarding? VPN? DDNS? Parental controls?