Forum Discussion

alexroet
New Contributor
2 months ago

Please help- multiple devices suddenly not online

Hello-

Every since 7/24, most of my "smart" devices are not online and I can't figure it out.  My wifi is otherwise fine- my phone/computer/tv etc are all working fine.  But my smart home devices are all offline and I can't get them back.  I think they are mostly if not all 2.4ghz devices.  And most of them do that thing where you have to choose the name of the device from your wifi list (on your phone) then connect to that network, then once connected, choose your regular wifi network to complete the connection. (sorry if I'm not explaining that well- hope you know what I mean!).  So for most of them, I can find the device network in my wifi list and connect to it, but then when I need to find my actual wifi, it's just not there.  The neighbors' networks and several other show up, just not mine.  Despite the fact that many other devices are actively using that network without problem.

I have reset the entire gateway several times.  I have rebooted the devices in question. I tried splitting the 5 and 2.4gh bands. Tried entering the SSID manually when I can't see it in the list.  None of these things helped.

This is not a new router and I had not changed any settings. Everything was working just fine, and then suddenly I noticed one thing wouldn't connect.  I thought it was the device. Then realized my thermostats, printer, smart outlets, etc were also all offline, so it's definitely not the specific devices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

• So, based on my own personal experience here with this exact issue… I believe your problem is likely being caused by the 2.4ghz band being overloaded. This happens to some of my 2.4ghz smart appliances if there are too many things connected to the 2.4ghz band (specifically) at one time. What helped me was an inexpensive (plug & play) dual-bandwidth’ WiFi-Extender/Repeater that I plugged-in halfway between my modem & the farthest smart appliances in the house, & I connected half of them to the extender’s 2.4ghz, rather than the modem.
    Now, this will not change how much actual activity your actual 2.4ghz bandwidth will ultimately experience… as even with a repeater/extender, it’s all eventually going to run back to the same modem/bandwidth. HOWEVER, it will help to significantly SLOW down & PREVENT future “traffic” jams on the band & keep it from clogging all at once—which is exactly what happens that causes everything to seemingly “disconnect” & go offline suddenly. 

As a quasi-fix in the meantime, try disconnecting some things that DON’T require 2.4ghz only, like cell phones, laptops, tablets, TV’s, etc., etc., etc.

And if you do eventually decide to get a   dual-bandwidth «––{this’ super important, needs to be connectable to each band separately} WiFi-extender, after finishing setup & connecting smart devices to it ––––pls, make sure to go back into ur phone’s WiFi settings, and under the extenders   2.4ghz  network,  you  UNCHECK  the   “auto-join” network box from all 'non-2.4ghz-only' devices, so they aren’t constantly connecting & overloading it all over again. Lol Then you’d be right back at square one.

I genuinely hope this helps you out. Best of luck. 

• I am having the same issue.  Was there a recent upgrade we're not aware of? Multiple devices just do not recognize my wifi network anymore.  They were working fine a week ago. 

However, cell phone, Firesticks, computers working fine. 

Sorry for not being helpful! 

• Hello, I am very sorry you’ve not had the best experience with Cox. I understand how important communication and reliable service is. We value your business, and I would be happy to help. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com for further assistance. Thank you!

Simon1
    New Contributor

Not just you had the same thing just happen. Came here to see if there was a solution to the issue. Cox modem is not sending out a signal over the 2.4ghz band all devices that are not dual band are offline. Used an extender to search for the signal and it is not there only the 5ghz. This happened around the same time as your disconnect. Sounds like an update gone wrong . Will be emailing Cox. 

• Hello, we would be happy to assist with any questions or concerns you might have. Please email us your “full” name, “complete” address, and a copy of your post to Cox.Help@cox.com if further assistance is needed. Thank you!