Forum Discussion

Darkatt
Valued Contributor III
7 months ago

New forums stink

Tired of seeing this time after time. Doesn't stay logged in, and every time I HAVE to login, I have to clear cached files and cookies!!!

Error trying to access login page!

11 Replies

• Hello Darkatt,

I have tried this on Chrome and wasn't able to see or experience this yet. When did this start happening and if this is still happening for you, then we may need to get some more information to help investigate this issue you keep facing. Is this replicated on multiple browsers on your device? Is this same error happening on other devices when you try to sign into Forums? 

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

I normally use Opera, but it happens in Chrome as well. BTW, I was 16 years at Cox, Data T2, and CAG. Also, even if I leave the tab alone, and the only tab open, it won't stay logged in, the OLD forusm was no problem at all, this one, is a true hassle. 

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

When signed in to Forums, you only remain signed in, after closing and re-loading the website, if you leave another browser tab open.  If you completely close the browser, you won't be signed In the next time you access Forums.  It's similar to Webmail.  The difference is you can access Forums even when not signed in.  (If you close the Webmail browser tab while another browser tab is open, you can re-open Webmail without signing in again.  But, it creates a new device session).

Do you save your Forums credentials in browser settings?  If yes, try deleting them and saving them again.  It may not help, but it won't hurt to try.  It's something you can test for the lack of valid authentication credentials that's causing the HTTP.401 unauthorized response error.  But, if that error occurs with multple browsers, it's unlikely your saved credentials are the cause.

This might replace clearing cache and cookies.  Close all browser tabs to clear HTTP.401 error

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III
    Darkatt wrote:

even if I leave the tab alone, and the only tab open, it won't stay logged in

Are you referring to (a) being signed out when you open the Forum website or (b) getting signed out while you're reading and posting?  If it's (a), see my previous post.   If it's (b), is that an every time thing or something that happens occasionally?  If it's occasional, do you know what you were trying to do just before you were signed out?  It could be caused by an issue with one or more of the Forum edit functions.  I've noticed when errors occurred, extra icon rows were displayed.  When too many rows were diplayed, it seemed to trigger a Sign Out, to reset.

Inserting a link might cause Sign Out.  It  happened after adding the link to my previous post.   

DRVEGAS
    Valued Contributor

I have to login every time as well but it's not a big deal because it only takes a few seconds to login.  I don't think this is an error.  I think it's supposed to be like this.

CurtB
    Valued Contributor III

Do you still have to clear cached files and cookies when you sign in?

Darkatt
      Valued Contributor III

Yes, I had to do so just before logging in just now. 

CurtB
        Valued Contributor III

I don't get an error, but if you want to troubleshoot, maybe we can figure it out.

1. Is this the shortcut you use?  https://forums.cox.com/   Cox Community | Home
        2. Do you get the same HTTP Status 401 error as your original post?
        3. Does it happen when you load the website or just when you "Sign In"? 
        4. Does it happen every time? If not, have you noticed any pattern?
        5. Do you have other browser tabs open when you load this website?
        6. What browser do you normally use?  Does it happen with other browsers?