Motorola MB8611 Problem
Today I replaced my perfectly working, reliable Motorola SB6141 modem with a new MB8611. It was consistently delivering 170Mbps
but my service is for 250 so an upgrade made sense.
I attempted to activate it online but kept getting server failure errors. The Cox tech said "oh that never works, don't bother"
The tech activated it and worked on it for about an hour but said there were problems. 1. He wanted to send out a tech to check the cabling even though
the old modem was working fine on it. 2. He said to call Motorola even though they do not provide support on Sunday.
I logged into the MB8611 and the log was full of Sync Timing Synchronization Failure and No Ranging Response Received errors. Software is ver. 8611-19.2.18.
Called back Cox to re activate the old modem. He had it up and running in about 25 minutes. He also agreed that it proves that the cable is not the issue.
The MB8611 is new out of the box and has never been connected. It still had default settings.
I have opened a ticket with Motorola. I could go through the process again with a different tech at Cox. A big problem with Cox support is that you have to start over from the beginning and there is no consistency or way to communicate once you hang up.