Forum Discussion

JM12
New Contributor
13 days ago

Motorola MB8611 connection drops frequently

Hello All,

I've been using a Motorola MB8611 cable modem for about 6 months. It's been very reliable and hardly ever drops the connection. Over the past week my modem is rebooting a few times a day. Today it's been rebooting every 20 min. I made a call to Cox to check out the line. I asked the agent in tech support about outages. I was told there were no outages in my area.

About two weeks ago Cox did an upgrade in my area. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it? Could a version of firmware been downloaded to the modem and now it's not compatible? I'm not able to view the firmware. I can't seem to connect to the modem. My modem is connected to a WiFi router. By the way, this is my modem. I did confirm that it works with Cox before purchasing. Cox activated it without issues.

Any thoughts? suggestions?

Thank in advance.

4 Replies

• Hi JM12,

I am sorry to learn of your connection troubles and I would like to take a closer look at your signal to the home.  Please if you would reach out to us  on Twitter at CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or at cox.help@cox.com with your account details.  Thanks! 

Cox Support Forums Moderator

JM12
      New Contributor

Hello, thanks for reply. I do have a Cox tech coming out this afternoon to check the line and the cable in the home. I'm starting to think that it may be the modem I've read a lot of issues with the Motorola MB8611. Rebooting multiple times an hour being one of them. Since yesterday 5:30am, the modem has been rebooting approximately every 20 minutes. 

Hopefully the Cox Tech can troubleshoot the line. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks.

ChrisJ2

You're welcome. Let us know if there's anything we can do and thank you for your patience. 

Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Just a reminder, your Motorola MB8611, ISN'T a Motorola, it's a ZOOM Modem. Some years back ARRIS purchased Motorola Mobility, and all it's intellectual property, and first leased, the sold the NAME Motorola, to Zoom. If you are looking for the REAL Motorola equipment, look no further than the Arris Surfboard line of modems. 

The MB8611 is known to have issues, and while it may run well initially, once you start having problems, it's best used as a paperweight. 

Additionally, my sources tell me, Motorola, (Zoom), no longer provides telephone support, and provide support over email only. Not the best solution if you ask me, since if the unit isn't working, then neither is your internet.  Per their web site - motorola-network@custhelp.com is how you get support. 

Further info, (old article) - https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/Motorola-Zoom-ARRIS-Branding-Name#:~:text=No%2C%20Zoom%20simply%20acquired%20the,reside%20under%20the%20ARRIS%20brand.

At the end of the article is a phone number for Zoom/Motorola, I do not know if it still works for support.