Forum Discussion

TimmyT667
New Contributor II
10 months ago

Modem automatically reboots

So I have the CGM4331COM Revision 2.2 and my modem has been automatically rebooting at least 2-3 times a day. I’ve had COX come out to the house yesterday July 9th 2023 and they couldn’t find an issue with my service. I’m not sure how to check my single levels or why this is happening. Does anyone have any insight or can tell me why this is happening? My tech did mention that COX pushes software updates that seem to always break things but this is extremely frustrating especially when playing online games or watching shows. Thanks for the help. 

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Darkatt
    Valued Contributor III

Docsis Engineering has become QUITE careful prior to pushing out an update, Years ago, they pushed an update to the Netgear 6300's in the hampton roads area, (I know, I had one), and it bricked it. I was provided a brand new modem at Cox's expense because of that. Trust me, they have become far more rigorous in testing. 

All updates, whether you have a Cox modem or a third party modem, the firmware goes through serious testing at Docsis Engineering, prior to getting pushed out, There is nothing like bricking 3000 Modems in one night, and having to be responsible for replacing them...

WiderMouthOpen
      Esteemed Contributor
      the firmware goes through serious testing at Docsis Engineering

The problem with that is it takes time to do all that testing and security patches can be system critical to a router. That's why I like having a separate modem and router. Let Cox decide when to upgrade the modem but I can choose when/what to update the router. That's why if you HAVE to go with a modem/router combo, I am currently suggesting the Netgear CAX80 because it has a separate router firmware that is user updatable. 

Darkatt
        Valued Contributor III

Yeah, as you know, I finally broke down and replaced the DG2460, with the CM2000 and the raxe300. they work well, and I get great speeds throughout the home. 

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor
    I’m not sure how to check my single levels

Go to 192.168.0.1 in a browser then login with username:admin password:password(unless changed). Then click on Connections on the left, then click on Cox Network. Scroll down a bit and you should see your downstream and upstream levels. Unfortunately I don't think the gateway displays the event logs that might show why the modem is rebooting but Cox tier 2 should be able to read them remotely. 

COX pushes software updates that seem to always break things

That is why I don't recommend using the Cox Panoramic gateway if possible. Not only do you have to pay monthly for it, but I find it's performance and features to be lack luster. Without owning your own router, you can't control the firmware. However that may have no relevance to your problem.

TimmyT667
      New Contributor II

Sorry I’m not sure if my reply saved or not. What do I need to be looking for? 

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Your downstream and upstream power levels, SNR and uncorrectables. Downstream should be between +10dB and -10dB and SNR should be above 35.  Upstream should be below 50. Uncorrectables should be as low as possible but they clear after every reboot. If copy/pasting doesn't seem to work, upload a screenshot to Imgur and post a link.