Forum Discussion

HandsomeChef
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Las Vegas: Daily Outages, Oversold Nodes, Bandwidth Decreasing and Constant Disconnects

I was posting regularly here from Sept - Nov. as I had the worst experience I could've imagined with an ISP. No upload speed at all, 17 straight days of 'unplanned outages', constant disconnects all hours of the day. I filed a complaint with the FCC which put the Cox "Executive Escalation Team" on my case and I have a letter here stating Cox found 'numerous issues' in my neighborhood which was causing my problems. After 15+ tech visits and no fix, one "Executive Escalation Tech" was able to clear the entire neighborhood of noise, packet loss and upstream issues in a single afternoon. 

Fast forward to Monday April 6th and my internet, download and upload have been a disaster. Continuous disconnects throughout the day, virtually no upload signal and so much latency its impossible to use our computers. My "Gigabyte" speed is now speed testing under 400mbps and my upload can't even hold a connection. 

I'm unfathomably disappointed with Cox Communications in the Las Vegas region. We are in a unprecedented global pandemic, forcing us all to be home. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can work from home and stuff generate revenue for my family, but these issues from Monday to now have made my job unworkable. So as one of the lucky few who can still work, I cannot because Cox Communications refuses to reinvest in their local infrastructure. I'm even more disappointed because Cox continues to sell services through this event, even though their network is overloaded and they cannot provide adequate tech support. 

I've been in contact with the Executive Escalation team once again, and once again I'll be filing a complaint with the FCC regarding Cox's inability to handle their responsibility of providing service to my area. I'll also be asking for a refund for the time down, as why am I paying you to provide me with a service that #1 does not work, #2 is falsely advertised and #3 your networks should be able to handle this kind of demand. 

This is irresponsible of Cox and I hope people can open their eyes after this pandemic to the realization that ISPs should be considered Public Utilities and held to a higher standard then a private corporation pocketing public funds. 

Please note Las Vegas residents, we're all in this together, garbage internet service and all. 

5 Replies

jimzhou1
    New Contributor

Same, also in Vegas, outages frequently come up as "TV outage" instead of internet and after 2 outages - 3 hours and then 1 hour - last night, current ETA for fix is.. 6AM (it's 9:54PM right now). Why am I paying for Gigablast when I get a fraction of the speed and a ton of downtime?

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Jimzhou1, we apologize for the unfavorable experience. We've seen an increase in internet traffic as people have shifted their work and school activities home in response to COVID-19. Our engineers are working to provide the best possible experience. For additional support, please feel free to email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    EricB
    Contributor

We should just pay them 5% of our bill, since we are receiving 5% of the service we pay for, seems fair to me.  Hopefully we get enough FCC complaints, that the FCC files a class action against them.

Whatever95
    New Contributor II

I have the exact same issue rn. Cox should do something about this. I got really high latency and a lot of packet loss which I cannot game anything in the daytime. After 12pm, everything seems fine again. Really pissed me off for paying the same price and not meeting any of my expectations. I think people should keep reporting on this forum so they at least gotta do something about this. 

DannyS
      The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We can definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email by at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete address with a link to this thread so we can get started.
      -Dan