Forum Discussion

SoCalRez
New Contributor II
4 years ago

Jitter Latency and Packetloss (Intermittent)

(92691, Orange County Cox)

I sent the email below to CoxHelp but I've found gaining visibility on Forums can expedite a solution (usually by increasing accountability):

For the past two months our Cox Internet Service has been intermittently terrible; specifically in terms of jitter (latency variation) and packetloss. I have been using PingPlotter to track performance over the past few months and will share links to various snapshots below. The disturbance is evident from Hop 1 (my router) to Hope 2 (First Cox Local Node). This 8-12ms hop often averages 50-100ms, due to large spikes in latency and/or packetloss. This affects any work that is sensitive to latency; namely our conference calls as we work from home, and my son's gaming in the evenings.During the times of greatest congestion it is not possible to work from home, nor use the internet for online gaming.

A significant point here is that this performance is INTERMITTENT! Many times the connection is very stable, with the average ping very near the minimum ping. During some of the worst conditions I have seen "Outages" reported on my Cox Account. However it is often performing poorly shortly after these outages have been cleared.
Because the performance is often GOOD, and appears to be unrelated to any environmental or network use conditions at our house, I suspect Cox has a saturated local node. The IP for this node is 10.73.168.1.
These findings have been obtained on a wired connection.
Is COX aware of intermittent latency/packetloss issues at the local node and when and how will this be resolved?
First, here is a JPG of the current conditions, as I type:
(jpg deleted) link to recent pingplotter:
Here are links to various conditions I've captured over the past few months:
Here are examples when everything is GOOD:
I look forward to your response,

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi SoCalRez. Thanks for that information. I checked the PingPlotters and for the best, most accurate results, please run a PingPlotter to the Amazon server connected directly to the modem. This will help us to determine what the next step is. The purpose of the Cox Internet Forum is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox Cable, Telephone, and High-Speed Internet services with other customers. This appears as if you may need someone to look into your account personally. We would definitely be able to assist you with this. Please reach us on Twitter at @CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. - Lisa