Forum Discussion

Z1839
New Contributor
7 years ago

Issues setting up Moca in apartment

Hey guys,

I've been trying for a while to get Moca set up in my apartment. I installed an actiontec ECB6200 in both rooms, set up like the manual states, and I can't seem to get a connection.

My coaxial in lights don't turn on, yet when I physically connect both devices to eachother with a coaxial cable, it turns on. I get an error in mac os stating that my ethernet connection has a "self assigned IP"

I had my cable provider send a tech over, and she confirmed that both coaxial connections in the two rooms i'm trying to hook up have a signal from the main box. I then tried putting a 2Ghz splitter outside in my main box, with no luck.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences and could provide me with their input. If anyone could help out it would be very appreciated.

Z1839
    New Contributor

Update: I contacted Actiontec and they told me to try connecting the two Moca adapters to eachother via coax, and then plug in one adapter to the router via ethernet, and the other to the Mac desktop via ethernet, and finally plug in the modem like normal to the wall and router. My ethernet connection is fully functional, so i'm assuming that it's an issue with the coax connection in the other room.

What i'm wondering is why my tech picked up signal in that other room. Do you have any idea what might be the issue?

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

While I'm unable to provide or recommend any assistance in your installation, I too have been contemplating  purchasing of the very same Actiontec ECB6200 and will be anxiously following whatever guidance Cox may (or may not) render.

Not to sound cynical, but I've hesitated in posing any MoCA-related questions here as I'm of the belief----hopefully misguided and incorrect---that merely because my rental gateway supports it, Cox is either unwilling or unable to respond to MoCA technical installation questions.

Z1839
    New Contributor

Thanks for your input. Are you saying you have the COX Moca service?

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

To be truthful, I doubt *very* seriously if there IS such a thing as "Cox MoCA Service". The user manual I have saved for the TG1682 gateway I rent was not, repeat not, provided by Cox. It was found online in a Google search. According to Arris, the manufacturer, MoCA is enabled in it, which is how I became informed.

As for asking here or calling support and expecting any kind of helpful, pertinent answer or assistance–––good luck. Just don't hold your breath.