Forum Discussion

Dust_Mann
New Contributor
10 months ago

Internet Stutters

Every so often, multiple times a day, I will lose connection and then gain it back less than a minute later. It makes gaming real hard and inconsistent. I just want to know what the issue could be and how to fix it.

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Lot's of things can cause lose of connection. Let me ask you some questions to isolate the issue;

1. When you lose connection, does it effect all devices at the same time?

2. Does it effect both wired and wireless devices?

3. What model modem/router/gateway do you have?

4. When you lose connection, do the lights on the modem/gateway change?

5. Has this been happening since day 1 of install? If not, anything changed?

Dust_Mann
      New Contributor

1. The only device that its noticed on is my desktop.
      2. The desktop is wire connection.
      3.Panorama Wifi Gateway, Internet Ultimate 500
      4. I havent noticed, but I was also not looking.
      5. Its been happening the past month. 3 months after install.

WiderMouthOpen
        Esteemed Contributor

Next time it happens, test multiple devices. Also look at the gateway and see what light is on it. Here is a page breaking down what the lights mean. Another test you could do is see if you can ping 192.168.0.1. That would show if it's a router issue or a Cox issue.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Did you tweak the MTU size on your computer?

Roush05
    New Contributor II

I've had this same problem in Arizona since Cox did overnight maintenance a couple days ago. It only happens during the day. Once the sun is down, it stops. My phone, and smart TV lose internet from the wifi, then reconnect a random amount of time later. My phone says "connected without internet" before it reconnects. My PS4 is wired, and it kicks me from the game lobby and party chat for a random amount of time. It's infuriating. It never did this before the overnight maintenance.