Forum Discussion

RawToast23
Visitor II
15 days ago

Inconsistent and Incorrect Outage Information - Extremely Frustrating

I’m beyond frustrated with the way Cox has handled communication about a planned network outage this week. The lack of clarity and consistency in the information provided has been infuriating. Here’s what I’ve been dealing with:

1. Email Notification: I received an email about the outage, but instead of providing a clear date (MM/DD/YY), the email just included a countdown. This is a terrible way to inform customers about a planned outage, especially when sent a week in advance.
  2. Conflicting Times in Email: According to the countdown in the email, the outage should begin on 09/04/2024 at 5:00 PM. However, when I clicked the "add to calendar" button, it added the outage for 09/04/2024 at 8:00 AM. This inconsistency leaves me completely in the dark about when I’ll actually lose service.
  3. Door Flyer: To make matters worse, I received a door flyer with different times altogether. The flyer says the outage is scheduled for 09/03/2024 & 09/04/2024, with two outage windows: 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 12:00 PM - 6:00 PM underlined in marker. 
  4. Customer Service Confusion: When I called customer service, the representative couldn’t provide any more information than “yes, we sent you an email” and didn’t seem to understand the issue. The same thing happened when I tried the online chat. This morning, I finally reached someone who could tell me the outage had already started—despite my email still showing a countdown of over 31 hours.

This entire situation is unacceptable. I’ve been a Cox customer for years, but after this and the multiple outages we’ve had recently, I’m seriously considering switching providers. This needs to be fixed. Your communication with your customers has been awful. As someone who works from home and needs internet access to do my job it's frustrating to not receive correct information even after reaching out to customer service. 

Below is a screen shot of the email that was taken on 09/03/2024 9:59am which is evidence of my first bullet point above. 

• Hi, there. The purpose of Cox Forums is to allow customers to discuss technical topics related to residential Cox residential services with other customers. For questions, comments, and concerns regarding outages, billing, or other account-specific issues, we request that you reach out to us on Twitter at CoxHelp, visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/coxcommunications, or email us at Cox.Help@cox.com.

rebekahw74
    New Contributor

I’m so glad you posted this here. I came looking for information on why there have been outages everyday for weeks and found your post. I only get text notifications when my service is down, no emails or flyers letting me know it’s going to happen. I am also considering canceling my service because I work from home and it’s creating serious issues with being able to do my job. They should be mailing out free hotspots or doing this work at night. 

ChrisJ2

Hi, Rebekah. I'm really sorry about the issues you've had with your service and I'd like to help. Please email us the physical address and any other pertinent information to Cox.Help@cox.com with your name and a copy of this forum message. We really want to get you back up and running.