Forum Discussion

CherylD
New Contributor II
21 days ago

I'm not getting all of my email since Yahoo switch....does anyone think it will get better?

I have been randomly not receiving email since the switch to Yahoo(I access email direct through a browser).  Some email comes through....some(even email I bcc myself on from a gmail account) don't.  There is no issue with blocked addresses, or any other setting....verified by Yahoo tech support.

Consulted with Yahoo support and they say it's not their issue.  Do any of you tech savy people think this situation will get better?

I started switching some of my email accounts to gmail....the most important business ones.  But what a pain this is.

14 Replies

rckeat
    New Contributor

My wife has a similar issue we are trying to troubleshoot.  First - a couple of points.  She transitioned to the Yahoo server a few weeks back and accesses her cox.net email using Gmail as the email client.  There are 2 issues we have discovered since the transition.

Some emails are simply not getting through to her email box.  And the 2nd is (and I think this is a Gmail problem), she cannot send an email to a distribution list as those messages all get bounced.

For the first problem, we just noticed that valid emails are ending up in a Spam folder on the Yahoo webmail portal.  These messages are not ending up anywhere in her Gmail inbox.  It would be helpful to know if you are having a similar issue and if you can find any of your missing emails in Spam on the Yahoo webmail portal.

kseene
      New Contributor II

I have to say that after a few days of this new email experience, I was ready to jump to gmail.  I have a gmail account sitting here ready to go...  But it seems possible that things are settling down a little so I'm still hopeful, and still trying to see if this will work out.

Others have found that yahoo now requires something called "DomainKeys Identified Mail (or DKIM)" which helps prevent email spoofing (I think).  Some email providers apparently haven't enabled this, so yahoo rejects it automatically.  I think I suffered this with ftb.ca.gov (the California Franchise Tax Board).  Yahoo says WE should contact those sites and ask them to catch up to 2025.  Personally, I would like yahoo to let us each have a whitelist for sites we want to converse with regardless of their DKIM or DMARC (another security setup) status.  Then you could make sure you received emails from your banks or financial institutions or the government.

Today, I had a bank send a login pin to my email instead of a text message I usually use.  The bank gave me 10 minutes to enter the pin.  I should have timed it, but it was probably at least 9 minutes.  I guess that's success.  Cox seemed to get emails through pretty quickly; yahoo seems a LOT slower.

andreawk
    New Contributor II

I've more-or-less transitioned to Yahoo at this point; my email is forwarded to my Outlook account. The problem I have is that Yahoo wants to screen all my email for spam and occasionally for the trash. I have a rule set up in Outlook to move all email to a junk folder if it's not from my contacts, and I periodically check that folder just in case real mail ended up there. But now I have to also check Yahoo's spam and trash folders, which creates work for me. I've contacted Yahoo a few times to see if I can get them to stop doing that, but they never answer my question--just tell me to mark mail as not spam, which I already know how to do. So I have two questions:
    1. Is there a way to prevent this from happening so I can screen my own mail?
    2. If not, is there another free service we can use instead of Yahoo that gives us more control? Thanks.

andreawk
        New Contributor II

I have a gmail account, but I don't use it. I suppose I could, but I have no idea how to get all my Cox mail to be picked up by that account instead of by Yahoo. And then I'll still want to forward it to Outlook. What do you mean by a different address? I understand that I'd use a gmail address, but could other people still contact me through the Cox address? Maybe that's all explained in the link you posted, but it doesn't work. Can you post one that does? 

andreawk
    New Contributor II

OK, I was able to access that link. Thank you. However, it's over my head! I think what it says is that instead of having Cox email transfer to Yahoo and then get forwarded to Outlook--as I'm currently doing--I could instead have it go directly to Outlook. Is that right? 

I already have my contacts and folders in my Outlook account so don't need to transfer that--just to forward the email. I could possibly get Microsoft help to do that, but my question for you is will people have to contact me with a different email address, or can I still use my Cox address? 

ChrisJ2

If you use the Yahoo service, you will maintain your cox.net email address. 

andreawk
    New Contributor II

OK. My point is that I don't want to use Yahoo. It decides what email should go into spam, trash, or my inbox. I want to control that on my end.

I'll try to figure it out. Thanks.

ChrisJ2

You're welcome. Thank you for choosing Cox as your provider and take care. 

patti_rose
    New Contributor III

We did the exact same thing......switched all of our accounts to Gmail.  A huge huge pain, but definitely worth it.  Gmail runs so efficiently.  We started switching our email address from Cox to Gmail about a month ago, and little by little each day we switched our accounts to our Gmail address.  So, when we got the cut off/transition from Cox to Yahoo 2 days ago, we didn't panic!  I did log into Yahoo webmail and did the transition, with the intent of just monitoring Cox emails for awhile on Yahoo, to be sure I haven't missed anyone important!  But Gmail is now our main email provider.

ljbVA
    New Contributor

I am also not receiving emails.  It does appear to be random as it is not specific to a particular sender/domain.  The emails are not in SPAM they simply never arrive.  Of course Cox, though they "own" the email address say they have no responsibility as does YAHOO.  One of the worst business decisions I have ever run into.  I am trying to figure out a way to migrate thousands of clients to a different email.  This is simply terrible.

RK567
    New Contributor II

I noticed something interesting this morning. As I mentioned in another post I was not getting some of my emails after switching to Yahoo. However, this morning I got an email from one of the companies whose emails I was not getting.

So I am wondering if there have been a sufficient number of complaints and Yahoo has done something about it, after telling me and others that it was not their problem?

Anyone else noticed something similar?

ljbVA
      New Contributor

Nope.  I get some from a given sender and not others.  It seems to be totally random.  This never happened to me before Cox dumped us on Yahoo so clearly it is their fault, however they refuse to accept responsibilty.  Meanwhile Cox insists they don't "touch" emails anymore and that any issues are Yahoos problem.  Disaster.