Forum Discussion

Miskatonic
New Contributor II
11 years ago
Solved

Chronic Random Disconnection

I've been a Cox internet customer for about two months now and, thus far, it has not been a happy experience. Since the first week of service, I've experienced random disconnects at all hours, anywhe...
    11 years ago

Ok, here's where I admit I was wrong, and apologize to Chris and Tiffany. I was wrong to dismiss the connection type as the source of the problem. I went out and got a 20' ethernet cable and attached my laptop directly to the gateway. I was able to play WoW and stream videos from Amazon for an hour. Then, I disabled the wired connection and connected via wireless. The modem restarted within ten minutes. Per Tiffany's advice, I used a wifi analyzer and saw that my gateway was broadcasting on channel 11, along with a bunch of other access points in my apt. complex. I switched to channel 3, which had much less interference, and was able to play for about a half hour before the modem restarted. I then went back to the wired connection and stayed connected for about six hours with no problem.

SO: My laptop is older. It's the only device in the house that's not 802.11n and, I am guessing, something about the way it connects causes my gateway to crash. As long as it stays on the wired connection, everything is stable. That's good enough for me; it's a big, old, 17" laptop that rarely moves from my desk, so I can live with having it wired. Thanks for all your help.