Forum Discussion

desertwind
New Contributor
4 months ago

Help: Internet Unusable daily now

Greetings, Cox has always been problematic but in the past outages were at least bearable. Now, in the middle of the day will lose service. And, late afternoons 4p to 5p and onward for rest of night, connectivity is non existent.  Speed, often but not always is reminiscent of the old AOL dial up days. 

Live in an older neighborhood. 
How do I request new wiring outside to home? 
How do I escalate to Executive Escalations

It is impacting ability to work and I must work from home. Thank you. 

8 Replies

WiderMouthOpen
    Esteemed Contributor

Can you tell us a little about your network like what model modem and router you have? Seeing your modem's signal levels may help. Also, how are wired connections?

As for getting new wiring, you can request that from a technician. How it is done depends on if you have above ground or underground wiring in your area. When was the last time you had a technician out?

desertwind
      New Contributor

Hello, thanks for your response. I have swapped out both modem and router several months ago; and neighbors are also complaining about the Cox service deteriorating, so I doubt that it's my equipment. Started with Cox Panoramic Wifi Gateway/Router: had service issues with that and replaced with Netgear nighthawk CM1100 Cable Modem and used a high end Asus Rog Rapture router which I replaced with a newer AXE7800 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6E Router. So, again, doubt it's my equipment.  The signal levels fluctuate from great (I have 1gb service) to barely functioning (like AOL old dial up service) to no service now for days in the afternoon and evening hours at all.  I know and understand the intermittent issues are more difficult to troubleshoot, and I'm not the only person in my area experiencing this. So many are changing to Tmobile, Verizon or Google Fiber. Unfortunately, Cox is only option for the speeds I need, but since my speeds are deteriorating and many evenings/nights until morning I have no service at all, I may need to rethink this and get a different provider. 

Suggestions? Thanks again for taking the time to respond. 

desertwind
        New Contributor

Older, more established neighborhood, so it's possible it is the wiring in the neighborhood that is causing or contributing, I suppose.