Forum Discussion

Danmar
New Contributor
6 years ago

Gigablast speed is slow

I bought new equipment and upgraded to Gigablast (Docsis 3.1) but my speed didn't improve. I was on Ultimate and got around 180Mbps, I'm getting about the same with Gigablast.

I had a technician come out to test the line, he plugged his device directly into the Cox outlet and showed he was getting around 940Mbps so I figured it was my equipment and I returned it and bought different equipment but I'm having the exact same results. I now have the Arris SB8200 modem and it is directly plugged into the Cox outlet, no splitters or anything.

I spoke to Cox agents who ran remote diagnostics on my line and according to them they don't see any issues.

I'm thinking this might have some to do with the power of the signal coming from the green pedestal outside. Maybe the device the technician uses requires less power than a modem?

Problem is, since I bought my own equipment the technician didn't want to test it. Right now I'm considering hiring Cox equipment just to prove that it's something with the line.

Do you have any advice for me?

3 Replies

jkretkow
    New Contributor

I'm having the same issues and just purchased the Netgear Nighthawk X10 and Arris SB8200. Tech coming out today I am getting ~ 20Mb downloads with ethernet connection. I'v hired outside tech support spoke with Cox countless hours and both Netgear and Arris. It seems to point to the signal coming into the house for my area is inconsistent. I had it working for 2-3 days then went down and up then down again. Good luck! Joe

Danmar
      New Contributor

Thanks for the info. I went to Cox today and told them I want to temporarily rent one of their Panoramic Wifi modems so the technician won't have an excuse not to test the equipment.

I have a technician coming out Friday, I'll let you know how it goes.

MarkM1
    Former Moderator
    Danmar,

Are you able to plug directly into your modem & do a speed test on cox.com? We want to see what your modem is getting there. Let us know when you do this so we can take a look to see what you are getting.

Mark M.
    Cox Support Forums Moderator