Forum Discussion

Martin33
New Contributor II
3 years ago
Solved

Gateway modem keeps disconnecting from PC

I recently got a brand Gateway modem/router.

The Wifi connection is fantastic!!

The issue I am having is I have a PC that I have connected directly to the modem via an Ethernet cable.

If I walk away from the PC for awhile it disconnects and the only way to get it connected again is to restart the PC which I lose what I was working on.

I do have an older PC with a old Windows 7 pro version on it.

Was wondering if there was anything I can to to stop this whether it would be something on the PC or the Panoramic app??

• First, I'd try to update the drivers of your Ethernet NIC.

• I had something like this happen following a windows 10 to windows 11 update.  The solution turned out to be resetting the connection which I did by unplugging the network cable, waiting a bit and reconnecting.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

First, I'd try to update the drivers of your Ethernet NIC.

FacMan
    New Contributor II

I had something like this happen following a windows 10 to windows 11 update.  The solution turned out to be resetting the connection which I did by unplugging the network cable, waiting a bit and reconnecting.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

During the lifetime of older computers, there will be updates to the OS, you'll add/remove firewalls & antivirus programs, allow/block certain services, etc and after all this time, sometimes a NIC will sense something is wrong on the cable based on its initial configuration...there's not…and terminate its connection.  Becoming "corrupt" would be a harsh word so, perhaps, requiring correction.  Drivers & resetting/rebuilding TCP/IP sometimes helps to correct.

Martin33
    New Contributor II

Thanks for all the advice!! I was able to solve the problem buy turning off Sleep mode.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

When a PC goes into Sleep, all your work is automatically saved.  You shouldn't have had to reboot to regain networking.

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

The problem may be within 1 of your Networking Services.  I check mine and all Startup Types are set to Manual and Recoveries Take No Action.  You didn't mention if you updated the drivers of your NIC.