Forum Discussion

Lulu3270
New Contributor
13 days ago
Solved

Ethernet ports on PW7 Gateway

Per this guide for the Cox PW7 gateway, there should be 4 gigabit ports on the back.  However, the 4th port, marked with an orange dash, is only transmitting as a 100mb (fast ethernet) port.  I thought there was a problem with the gateway, so I exchanged it at a Cox store.  The new one is the same.  It says all 4 ports can be used for wired devices; however, the 4th port (the slow one) should be the preferred port for wired devices.  What is going on here?  Is there a way to get the 4th port enabled, or is the gateway limited to 3 ethernet ports?  

• Cox Help was NO help at all on this issue.  They insisted that the problem was with my equipment, which was not true.  They are not true technical support.  I was able to fix this issue with help from Xfinity, which also uses this gateway.  As I suspected, it was a setting on the gateway.  I reported the fix to Cox Help and received no reply, no thanks, no acknowledgement.  

2 Replies

• Hi Lulu3270. I checked and all 4 ports should be able to connect at up to 1000 Mbps, however, the 4th port, which is the one you are speaking about connects at 2.4 Gbps if the service is available for this speed. If you are having an issue with this port, we may need to check into this further. To do so, please reach out to us on Twitter at CoxHelp via DM, visit us on Facebook via private message, or email us at cox.help@cox.com. Provide us the name on the account with the complete service address with a link to this thread so we can get started. Thanks, Lisa, Cox Support Forums Moderator

Lulu3270
      New Contributor

Cox Help was NO help at all on this issue.  They insisted that the problem was with my equipment, which was not true.  They are not true technical support.  I was able to fix this issue with help from Xfinity, which also uses this gateway.  As I suspected, it was a setting on the gateway.  I reported the fix to Cox Help and received no reply, no thanks, no acknowledgement.