Forum Discussion

TC11
New Contributor
6 years ago

Distance from road question

Hi, I'm a current and long time Cox customer.  We just bought 10 acres and plan to build in about 2 years.  I'm doing my research now so that I know what to plan for down the road.  Cox has customers along the road already so thats not an issue.  We plan to build about 500 feet off the road and do not want anything aerial.  So my questions are:

- how far will Cox bury cable for free?

- if they won't go the entire distance, how much do they charge per foot beyond that?

- could i bury the cable myself since i'm already going to run the water line myself?  If so, would RG-6 direct bury cable be the right choice?

Thanks

Tommy

2 Replies

• Hi TC11, you are wise to think about this in advance! The rate information I have is a couple of years old; however, it will give you a starting point. For exact rates, we will need to submit a request to have a site survey completed by our serviceability team. Cox will cover installation of an underground drop to your house up to 200 feet. 201 - 350 feet is a $500.00 flat rate. Underground lines over 350 feet are charged local market construction rates. I believe RG-6 would be sufficient, as long as you install the water-resistant kind designed for underground burial. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      TC11
      New Contributor

Hey Becky.  Thanks for the info.  I think the best bet is for them to run it 200' and put a small can there.  Then I'll run from there to the house. :)